Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

giving my pc away

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobbylo

bobbylo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

I am giving away 3 older (5-10 years)  desktop CPUs

How do I get all my stuff ,photos, data, etc off and  eventually to my new desktop?

Do I just remove the hard drives and then figure out later  how to transfer the stuff on to my new computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:28 AM

Hi and 23shh55.jpg to the forum.

One way to transfer your data from your old PC's is to use an Enclosure or a SATA/USB Adapter Cable.  Then you can connect your old HDD's to your new Desktop PC and transfer your data to the new PC.

Enclosures (or Adapter Cables) are useful devices to have available as they provide numerous uses in addition to connecting HDD's up quickly to another PC.  I use an Enclosure to Clone and Image my Laptop PC.

Here's one that I have (Amazon link):  Enclosure USB 2.0

There are also numerous (Amazon link) -> Adapter Cables   available online as well. 

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:48 AM

Or you could use a dock like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994165&cm_re=dock-_-17-994-165-_-Product

That one only does sata, so if you have any old pata drives you'd need a different one.

I might just put the old drives into the new computer (temporarily) and copy the files to my new drive [although the new desktop probably doesn't support PATA], but, I'm guessing chances are if you are asking this question then you wouldn't want to open up your new pc and do that.

Edited by bludshot, 30 November 2014 - 12:49 AM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

You can get a USB to SATA/IDE adapter will cover you no matter if the drive is IDE or SATA.

If the computer is still working you can to it over the network.

If you're giving away the drives you'll want to wipe them using something like Darik's Boot and Nuke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users