Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8.1 downgrade to Win 7 help please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nate-Train

Nate-Train

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

Hello,

I just ordered an Alienware X51 that comes with Win 8.1. I have a licensed copy of Win 7 Ultimate. Will I be able to "downgrade" to Win 7 by booting from CD? If I have trouble, can I just remove the HDD and wipe it using my docking station and another PC?

Edit: Looks like I need to disable Secure Boot first but it can be done. Still curious about: remove the HDD and wipe it using my docking station and another PC?

Thank you!

Edited by Nate-Train, 28 November 2014 - 08:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:40 PM

Hi,

For the downgrade I would do the reformat and then a clean install of the W7 OS

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

Does Alienware provide Windows 7 Drivers for your model computer ? I would make system recovery media before wiping drive.

#4 Nate-Train

Nate-Train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

Dick - Thanks, that's what I was hoping would work.

Mainer21 - Yes. They offer the x51 with Win 7 or Win 8.1, and I can download the drivers from the homepage. I just wasn't sure if it would work as I've never done it.

Of course, I was a little nervous so I sent DELL customer service an e-mail stating that I want to change my order to Win 7 (for +$70.00). Maybe I'll cancel that when they reply.

Thank you for the responses, folks! 

This issue is solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users