Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSODs relating to ntoskrnl.exe and more...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kurosawaftw7

kurosawaftw7

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

Hello everyone. I have had my iBuypower prebuilt system for 2.5 years roughly, and I believe since the beginning I have had BSODs, often during gaming but not always, sometimes at the desktop. I have tried googling these issues but I don't understand a lot of the jargon, so I am still unsure what action to take. Since I have gotten my computer I have only made one hardware change in the form of a video card upgrade, from a Powercolor 6850 to an EVGA GTX 760. I have had BSODs with both cards at the same rate, so I don't hink its a hardware issue with the cards, and I do keep my graphics drivers up to date. I have flashed the BIOS on my Gigabyte motherboard and that stopped BSODs for about three months if I recall correctly, but now they have started again. Before that I tried SFC /SCANNOW for my harddrive and have tested both RAM sticks with Memtest after the BIOS update. According to bluescreenview.exe the biggest culprit for driver causing the crash is ntoskrnl.exe, although there have been others listed. These include one Nvidia driver incident (344.75), two cases of tcpip.sys, and one case of ndis.sys. There was also something involving a USB driver a while back, but I do not recall the exact name of the driver. I recall seeing K_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDELED, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and some other bug check strings accompanying these BSODs, and I'll post the exact bug check strings when I can next access my desktop. My system is as follows:

NZXT 210 Case

AMD FX-8120 CPU

8GB DDR3 1333 Crucial RAM

EVGA GTX 760 (formerly Powercolor 6850

Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 (rev. 3.1) Motherboard

XION 700 watt PSU

Onboard sound (Realtek ALC887 codec) and network (Realtek RTL8211CL chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)).

DVD burner

1TB hard drive (I'll post the brand and more info once I get access to my troubled PC again).

I always keep Win7 up to date and I scan files and my computer with SuperAntiSpyware, Emsisoft, AVG, SpyWare Blaster and Malwarebytes Anti Malware, all of which are the free versions. I update them and run them all on a weekly or more basis. I also run a quick defrag occassionally and I have not reinstalled Win7 Home Premium at all.

I have a hunch that it may be mobo related, but that's only a hunch. Thanks in advance for any feedback and help!

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2014 - 01:17 PM.
Moved from IH to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:05 AM

I would install the latest video card and lan drivers

#3 kurosawaftw7

kurosawaftw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

Thanks dude. I actually keep my video drivers up to date, but I forgot about LAN. I am downloading the LAN driver.

#4 kurosawaftw7

kurosawaftw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

Just so everyone knows, I also have had a few issues with the following drivers causing BSODs: USB.sys, pacer.sys, HTTP.sys, HDaudbus.sys.

I have also seen at least one case of the following bug check strings: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, TIMER_OR_DPC_INVALID, and UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP.

This has also occurred from March 2014 to now, with all of the previous BSOD info dumps accidentally erased a while back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users