Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LG monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gunny3053

Gunny3053

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hi Gang

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

I bought this LED monitor, its a LG LED 24EN43. I know it is not very old but works great. Now my problem is this, I run 2 computers, one has Win 7 on it and the one I am having a problem with runs Win 8.1. The Win 7 computer matched up with the LG monitor great, no resolution problems at all. I did not have to reset anything. Now the Win 8 computer I cannot get the right resolution, all I can get when I go to the control panel and click on display is a 1280/1024, and it lists the monitor as a generic monitor, not a LG. It is supposed to be a 1920/1080 resolution but I cannot get that. 

I thought ok I will get the drivers for the monitor and that will fix that, LG does not have any drivers for it. So now what do I do. I found out too that Win 8.1 does not pick up on new added items like Win 7 does. I figure putting the drivers in would change that from a generic to what it actually is. 

Thanx....Gunny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

Maybe the graphics card in the Win 8 machine is only compatible up to 1280/1024? Not sure....

What make/model is the 8 machine? Or home-grown?

#3 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

Hi blugard

I had a 24" Acer monitor I used before with no problem with the resolution, same Video card too. The Video card is a Nvdia Ge Force 8800 GTX and it is up top date. I put both computers together, and they both are working good. I keep them up to date and clean. I really did not think I would have any problem when I switched over to this LG monitor. The only diff between the 2 computers is one is a Win 7 and the problem one is Win 8.1. I am assuming it is not compatible with Win 8 or the card. I tried another Video card and it does the same thing, so I am assuming it is the Win 8 for some reason.

Thanx....Gunny

Edited by Gunny3053, 28 November 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:47 AM

Try a different monitor cable. The one you are using might be the more basic kind that is not communicating supported resolutions from the monitor to the computer. Other thing you could try (if you have the ports) is wholly different cable types (hdmi/vga/dvi).  On the surface though, it seems like you don't have the right geforce driver on windows 8.

#5 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

Hi Gang

Well here it is in a nutshell......bludshot your last comment was right on. I thought I had the latest update to my Video card, but I was wrong. I went to the Geforce site and they had this little program you can install that keeps your card up to date with the latest and greatest updates, so I installed it and it went checking and found the diver I had was out dated, so they updated it and now my resolution is back to normal, and the monitor is labeled right and not listed as generic.

Thanx for all of the help on this

Thanx....Gunny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users