Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer slows down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:00 PM

I'm running a Dell XLS 410 with Vista and 2000 MB of memory. I'm finding that after going to certain sites, my computer slows down and stays slow while Task Manager's Performance tab remains low.  I have McAffee Anti Virus installed and scans show no infections.

If I go to CCleaner after this happens, the computer goes back to normal speed so I assume that some of these sites are adding junk to my system and CCleaner is gettting rid of it.

Being I only have 2000 MB of memory, I assume I should upgrade to the Maximum 4000 but being that the Performance tab is showing low usage percentages in Task Manager, I'm wondering if something else is involved.

Obviously, websites use more code than when this computer first came out but I don't know why the computer slows down afterwards once I'm out of these sites other than that garbage is added on but I'm clueless about this.

Thanks,

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

I would check the health of the hard drive(s) and defrag.

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:49 AM

good point about defragging.  However, how do you check the health of the hard drive?

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:33 AM

You can use hdtune to check the health status, and I guess report back about that (before running any long tests)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users