Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 speedy0587

speedy0587

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:07 AM

In the past week I have been recieving a new error.

Whenever I click on different folders in my My Computer, My Documents, etc, I will get an error box saying Windows Explorer needs to close. I end the process and most of the time everything goes back to normal but sometimes my computer will freeze and it is quite annoying. I can live with the problem but I wanted to see if anyone knows anything about it. Sometimes Dr. Watsons program will also get an error right after I recieve the Windows Explorer error.

I asked another forum helper about it and she assisted me to the best of her knowledge and had me run tests, but then referred me to this board. The assistance with this problem begins on post number #14. Could someone please check this and see what may be the problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/55282/infected-with-web-nexus/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:39 AM

Here's a new KB article that might apply to you:

"You may experience problems in Windows Explorer or in the Windows shell after you install security update MS06-015" ...
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=4985823

Have a look at it and see if you think it applies to you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:44 AM

Hi speedy0587.
I couldn't help but notice in your thread you have kodak software installed.
There is a known issue with that and XP that may cause the symptoms you are experiencing.
I would start by removing all traces of it for now if usasma's post doesn't help.
Article here. (ignore version number)
If this error happens with a "right click" only, it's a context menu handler issue and the fix is easy.
You simply said "click" so I'm assuming you mean a normal left click. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 18 June 2006 - 07:47 AM.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:01 AM

Hi speedy0587.

mieke suggested the following:

What you can also try is to create another userprofile. Because it's hard to find out where the exact problem is present - could be anything.

Did you try this yet? And what were the results?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 speedy0587

speedy0587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:20 PM

The problem definately seems to be Kodak related but my sister will not let me delete her program, so I created a new account.

My new account carried over the Kodak, but I will uninstall it off of that account if it does not interfer with her working with it on this current account (the problemized one).

Also, I would like to know how to carry over applications to my new account. My computer carried over only certain applications and I need all of them, except the Kodak program. I searched online for ways to do this and am very confused. They are telling me to use an ADVANCED tab in my MY COMPUTER, but its not there, I don't know what a roaming account is, if i need to make a duplicate account. So you can see its very confusing for a guy like me, Please help :thumbsup:

Edit: My sister is willing to take the Kodak program off the computer, but even if I wanted to add my exsisting applications/folders to my new name how would I go across that.

Edited by speedy0587, 18 June 2006 - 05:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users