Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

Every few days my laptop is asking me to upgrade to windows 8.1. Should i do it? And also what benefits if any will it give me if i do upgrade to 8.1?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

Win 8.1 and then the following update give better security and improved features.

There are security updates that can only be obtained if you have the latest version , so without upgrading your system is not secure.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:36 PM

This is a very controversial subject due to the mixed results of members who have use the upgrade from Window 8 to Windows 8.1.

It seem that a lot those who did the upgrade have experienced problems afterward.  But those who had Windows 8.1 originally installed don't seem to experience as many problems.  There are those of us who will not allow our copies of Windows 8 to be upgraded because of the problems.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043268/the-top-5-reasons-to-upgrade-to-windows-8-1.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

So either way i can't really win if i upgrade or not. If i choose to i may encounter faults with my upragde if i am unlucky but if i do not upgrade my system may be less secure so for now i might just keep windows 8 for now.

#5 ViolentNeurosis

ViolentNeurosis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:06 PM

This is a very controversial subject due to the mixed results of members who have use the upgrade from Window 8 to Windows 8.1.

It seem that a lot those who did the upgrade have experienced problems afterward.  But those who had Windows 8.1 originally installed don't seem to experience as many problems.  There are those of us who will not allow our copies of Windows 8 to be upgraded because of the problems.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043268/the-top-5-reasons-to-upgrade-to-windows-8-1.html

I would have to agree with this. I recieved a Samsung ATIV 4 laptop for Christmas last year and it came with Windows 8 64-Bit pre-installed. After downloading the 8.1 "upgrade", I have had a series of issues that greatly reduce performance. Reminds me of my old 486/66DX w/16MB RAM running Windows98SE... I tried updating drivers, and though Samsung's drivers were more up-to-date than Microsoft's, it made no difference. Refreshing to Windows 8 in the Recovery options eliminated the issues. I'm running an i5-3230M@2.60GHz and 6GB of RAM... I shouldn't be having constant 100% disk-access after Windows 8.1 is finished setting up and finished the first boot.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:26 AM

You should remove the update KB2871389, and MAKE SURE that KB2973544 NEVER gets installed on the system. Doing this should protect you both from the annoying prompts and the rumours (i have heard people report forced upgrades but it can't be fully confimred to be the case) of forced upgrade from 8 to 8.1 . I use windows 8, in august this year i removed KB29871389, i have not had a single annoying "upgrade now for free" prompt since because KB2871389 is essential for the upgrade to be possible and without it windows 8 cannot become 8.1 . If at a later date you do want to "upgrade" to 8.1 you can then allow the update KB2871389 to be installed and follow through the instructions when a "upgrade now" prompt shows up a few days later. Until january 2016 (approx) windows 8 still gets it's own KB updates so remains secure until that date, at which point you must either do the "upgrade" or remain with windows 8 which won't get patches and bug fixes after that date. By removing KB29871389 now you can prevent windows trying to take the matter into it;s own hands and give yourself a year until you need to worry about "upgrading".

Removing KB2871389 and refusing to allow the installation of KB2973544 will not have negative effects on your security, neither is a security update, all they do is add extra features and prepare systems for the upgrade. Refusing 8.1 until january 2016 will not be a security problem either, however once january 2016 comes around things get tricky and you will need to "upgrade" then to keep getting security updates or switch to a different operating system.

This subject spawned two long argument threads about such matters as: whether 8 or 8.1 is better and the morality of offering upgrades, or the morality of (as rumoured) forcing them. I find it's wise to just discuss how to deal with problems, how to stop the prompts and what the risks of doing so are rather than trying to debate the why.

Edited by rp88, 05 December 2014 - 09:31 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:51 PM

You should remove the update KB2871389, and MAKE SURE that KB2973544 NEVER gets installed on the system. Doing this should protect you both from the annoying prompts and the rumours (i have heard people report forced upgrades but it can't be fully confimred to be the case) of forced upgrade from 8 to 8.1 . I use windows 8, in august this year i removed KB29871389, i have not had a single annoying "upgrade now for free" prompt since because KB2871389 is essential for the upgrade to be possible and without it windows 8 cannot become 8.1 . If at a later date you do want to "upgrade" to 8.1 you can then allow the update KB2871389 to be installed and follow through the instructions when a "upgrade now" prompt shows up a few days later. Until january 2016 (approx) windows 8 still gets it's own KB updates so remains secure until that date, at which point you must either do the "upgrade" or remain with windows 8 which won't get patches and bug fixes after that date. By removing KB29871389 now you can prevent windows trying to take the matter into it;s own hands and give yourself a year until you need to worry about "upgrading".

Removing KB2871389 and refusing to allow the installation of KB2973544 will not have negative effects on your security, neither is a security update, all they do is add extra features and prepare systems for the upgrade. Refusing 8.1 until january 2016 will not be a security problem either, however once january 2016 comes around things get tricky and you will need to "upgrade" then to keep getting security updates or switch to a different operating system.

This subject spawned two long argument threads about such matters as: whether 8 or 8.1 is better and the morality of offering upgrades, or the morality of (as rumoured) forcing them. I find it's wise to just discuss how to deal with problems, how to stop the prompts and what the risks of doing so are rather than trying to debate the why.

I was just about to ask if you can actually stop it from appearing because it takes up 7gb on my HDD and it won't let me delete it for about 3 days and i do not even want 8.1. Thanks for the info and i will try to get rid of the updates in question :D

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

Removing those updates should be enough to stop it appearing. Then make sure to set future updates to check with you before downloading, so you can ensure those nasty two don't slip past. You may find it helpful to uninstall all updates since a short while before you got KB2871389 and then with the machine back in an old state reinstall updates, except for KB2871389. This way any later updates which require it won't get installed. This could be done by loading from a system image made before KB2871389 was installed and then downloading and installing the more recent updates, the fact that you won't let KB2871389 install will mean that you won't be offered certain updates which rely upon it, this way you won't be trying to remove something which is potentially needed by some later updates.

Sorry if that wasn't very clear, i'll try explaining as a list of instructions as well as that decription above
1. Restore from a system image which was made BEFORE kb2871389 was installed
2. If you don't have such an image then uninstall every update which you have had since and including the day on which KB2871389 arrived
3. Set updates to "check automatically but let me choose when to download and install"
4. Now reinstall the updates (some of them, the security ones are very important so must be reinstalled, DON'T leave the system in an utterly un-updated state) except for KB2871389. At this point KB2871389 will be offered in the list so ensure to untick it.
5. Then when you restart from after running these updates check again, as it is likely that there are later updates released which won't be offered until some of the first round have been installed
6. Check like this several times until you are fully up to date, except for KB2871389 and any updates which would only be offered to users who already had KB2871389
7.That way you get rid of KB2871389 AND you avoid havng any update lying around which has dependencies on it

Now you should not get ANY "upgrade now..." prompts or forced upgrade attempts. This should alos avoid having any uneccessary stuff on your harddrive clogging up space, as the 7gigabytes of something you complain about sounds like the installer for 8.1, which if you follow these instructions won't get downloaded at all, so won't waste space for you. As always ensure you are up-to-date with the other updates, importantly those calling themselves "security update for ..." as they patch actual vulnerabilities in various programs or operating system components.

Edited by rp88, 25 December 2014 - 11:13 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users