Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't extend a partition

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mickmeister

Mickmeister

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:36 PM

My C drive was dying, so I replaced it and did a bare metal restore from a backup with ShadowProtect. All went well, except that now when I click "Computer" to view the drives, it tells me that the new C drive is only 698 GB (which was the capacity of the older drive). The new one is bigger (2 TB).

I'm trying to change the partition (there's only one) to a bigger size, using Disk Management in Windows, but it's not working. In the upper part of the dialogue where it lists the drives, it's reporting the incorrect amount of space (698 GB). But in the lower dialogue where it shows the partitions, it's showing the correct size of the new drive - 1863 GB. It all shows up as a Primary Partition; there's no Unallocated Space. If I rt-click and try to extend the volume, that option is grayed out.

One forum says that if you convert the disk to a dynamic disk it will then let you extend the volume. But it won't let me do that either - it tells me there's not enough space available to convert it.

How can I make Windows see the full size of the new drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

I'd say that you need to consult your Shadow Protect documentation on how it works.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:19 PM

Don't use Windows Disk Management. Use the Bootable Partition Wizard and extend or resize the partition. The bootable version is linux based and works outside of Windows. Don't change the disk to dynamic. Keep it basic.

#4 Mickmeister

Mickmeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:24 PM

Louis: Over at the ShadowProtect forum they pointed me to some docs that may (hopefully!) show me how to extend the partition using the ShadowProtect recovery environment - after which I would need to re-do the bare metal restore. So that's my Plan B, but first I'm still hoping I can extend it without doing another restore.

John_C: Thanks for the info...I will look into this. Hopefuly it will save me from doing a restore.

#5 Mickmeister

Mickmeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

Still no progress on this. The utility within ShadowProtect shows pretty much the same thing that Windows Disk Management shows - namely, that the C drive consists of a single primary partition, which is a bit less than 2 TB. This is what I would expect to see; but the problem is that windows only sees 698 GB (the size of the older drive that the backup was made from). Neither utility shows any unallocated space - which I would assume is necessary before I can re-size the partition.

Or is re-sizing the partition really what's needed? If these utilities are telling me that the partition is already using up the full amount of the drive's space, maybe the problem isn't the partition size but rather something that's preventing Windows from seeing the correct size?

John_C: The Partition Wizard won't run...when I try to boot up I get a message saying that there's not enough memory to load it. I sent an email to their tech support, but I'm not expecting to hear anything til after the holiday weekend.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:54 PM

You could try creating a bootable USB Flash drive using the bootable iso and Rufus. The reason Partition wizard will not boot could be because the HDD is GPT and the BIOS is set to UEFI. Then you would need to set the BIOS to Legacy or CSM mode. But, Rufus is supporse to boot fine on UEFI. What bothers me is the fact that you do not show any unallocated space which is strange. Usually when cloning or imaging to a new drive, the larger drive will show a partition of size of the old drive and the rest as unallocated space. Maybe Partition Wizard will see the unallocated space but I don't know.

If you have trouble getting Partition Wizard to boot try the iso of GPARTed. Just make sure you have selected the correct device in the dropdown box in the upper right. If you have a single drive it will be sda1.

Edit: Here is a Tutorial on Gparted and a Video that may help.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 November 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#7 Mickmeister

Mickmeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:56 PM

JohnC - the Mini Tool Partition Wizard guy told me they make a Windows version, so I tried that. It did the job! Great tool....thanks for pointing me to it!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

Glad it worked for you. I usually use the bootable version because I like to do partition moves offline. I'm surprised the bootable version did not work for you. Partition Wizard is excellent and it is free to boot.

#9 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:38 AM

Try EASEUS

Robert James Crawley Klopp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users