Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back Screen With Cursor after Malwarebytes Scan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 yetanotherinfectedpc

yetanotherinfectedpc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

Been working on a friend's PC that appears to be extremely infected. I had already ran AdwCleaner, and then proceeded to run Malwarebytes. After the Malwarebytes removed infections and rebooted, I only get a black screen with cursor after logging in. I can still boot to safe mode with networking, but the PC is still obviously infectd (getting pop ups, etc. while browsing). Running Windows 7, x64. Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 The Pugilist

The Pugilist

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

Hello Yetanotherinfectedpc,

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer!  My name is Dave and I'll be assisting you with your troubles. 

Please allow me some time to review the materials you've provided.  In the mean time, please refrain from making additional changes to the infected computer.  For me to be able to help you effectively, I need to know exactly what's happening on the infected machine.

I'll post back here with instructions as soon as I have them.

//Dave

#3 yetanotherinfectedpc

yetanotherinfectedpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:27 PM

I was able to fix it with system restore. Thanks

#4 The Pugilist

The Pugilist

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

Excellent!

Just to make you aware, some malware has been known to infect system restore points, so it might behoove you to double check the computer again after the restore process.  If you would like to generate a new DDS log and post it here, I can examine it for you.  If that's not necessary, just let me know and we can close this topic. :)

//Dave

#5 yetanotherinfectedpc

yetanotherinfectedpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

I still had to remove the malware after restoring, but was able to get rid of it it without causing the black screen again. Feel free to close.

#6 The Pugilist

The Pugilist

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

Will do, thanks for letting us know!

//Dave

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:54 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users