Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, my mate been lured into an MLM scheme

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 computerrepair94

computerrepair94

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

I dont normally post stuff on Bleeping Computers, I just enjoy reading the forums.

1. Anyway A friend has a lured into an MLM scheme, and from what I gather, its a Pyramid Scheme, but you selling products aswell has recruiting, He has been recruited by a owner of a computer shop (who claims to make £30k a month!) and his wife is my mates trainer, everytime I asked, how much you make, or can you watch this video they blank me, when I asked how much he makes of being a UW distributor, he blocked me, same with his wife. My mate claimed to me, that his wife has taken him to events/presentations in both Manchester and Blackpool and even took him to Carlisle to sign up someone in his family, but I assume after he annoys everyone like family/friends, he will move on to people not associated with him, which I am pretty sure, they will be like, "Yeah, whatever, you can shove you scam" They keep going on about him getting so much rewards like a new Mini when hes at 75 customers. Its like, hes been brainwashed by people who are biased for MLM and it annoys me how hes been dragged in, I even told him, they will never even tell him the bad parts about being a UW distributor. He has also done training, which takes 3 week! and hes got to pay a £100 sign up fee. To make things worse, the stuff hes selling is Gas, electric and the internet.... The internet they Utility warehouse uses comes from Telecom plus.... Telecome plus leases their lines from BT!

Heres the chat:

• Tuesday
  •  
    Thomas James Mitchell

Decided to research this distributor thing, sounds to me like the pyrimid scheme 😕, need about 100 customers for £4k after tax etc...

•  
    Andrew Dennett

As usual you don't know what your on about. A pyramid scheme is illegal. research what one of them is before you say silly things. If you wish to understand it come see us. And for the info one customer gets you upto 50 customer gathering bonus. to start. 3 gets you upto the same bit with 100 bonus. so for 3 customers you can earn 250. For 6 you can get 300 plus the 100 bonus then another 150 bonus. All in a week....then you get income every month from doing the job once. but what do I know

•  
    Andrew Dennett

and if you worked in McDonald's and served 100 people how much would you earn......

and to entertain myself. let's educate you. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme

•  
    Andrew Dennett

This attachment may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it with you.
  •  
    Andrew Dennett

•  
    Andrew Dennett

Ok now that I've had some fun - do some research - learn to read what you have put and be sure you know what you mean "sounds to me like the pyrimid scheme" it would have read better if you had put - this sounds like a pyramid scheme to me ..... however as usual I'm very informed and very good at research - that all took me 10 minutes of my time.

•  
    Andrew Dennett

click that - takes you to the National Union of teachers page then when your done come to the shop and have a proper chat

• Tuesday
  •  
    Thomas James Mitchell

.. Those reviews are of UW as a service. Its commission based, I would have to work a ton of hours for people to sign up, or a may get pot luck and a few people will sign up on one day. You have to budget, for example when you go on a dry patch. Not everyone will succeed. At least working with Macdonald, your garunteed income for a set amount of hours, which is more stable.

•  
    Thomas James Mitchell

And isn't UW a network\multi level marketing company? You'll only make decent amount by recruiting others to your team

•  
    Thomas James Mitchell

I think a more nicer comment would of been. 'You got mixed up with the pyrimid and MLM'

And once again, the gaudians link is 100% true

•  
    Andrew Dennett

OK last word on this, i have 3 companies, a few houses, I am rather busy, do you think i would be involved if it was a bad idea? network marketing is the way forward, ask Richard Branson and Alan sugar. now do you work? any business of your own requires effort, Mc'donalds if you could get a job there, will pay you a basic wage for your hours and that is it. No matter what you do in life if you work for yourself you have to put effort in and the reward comes with time. I won't be continuing a conversation with you on here. I am willing to have a chat in the shop but I work a lot - you might be sat at home wanting to keep engaging but why not get up and go do something.

•  
    Andrew Dennett

and again where you fail at trying to be smart with "I think a more nicer comment would of been. 'You got mixed up with the pyrimid and MLM'" first spell check. Second it is not a pyramid (note spelling) also, you do not need to recruit to make this a successful business, come watch the presentation, even if you only hit 75 customers (at that point you get a mini) you just don't know the full story, you are skimming the articles and your processing skills need working on Come to the shop - have a brew and I will chat but not on here as it takes up far too much of my time where I could be making money instead

•  
    Thomas James Mitchell

I am not trying to be smart, at all!

MLM scheme and pretty much just like a pyrimds

•  
    Andrew Dennett

do you actually know what a pyramid scheme is ? first spell it right, second they unlike network marketing are illegal - watch the video i sent you

•  
    Thomas James Mitchell

Alan sugar and branson never started their company through a 3rd party like UW. With Mc Donalds, I am never expecting a major pay, its just more stable. And also I am pretty much doing some, fixing peoples PCs, while studying networking. And yes I find subnetting quite interesting. .... Also how long would it actually take to rake in 75 costumers? Plus MLM, you do have to recruit to be successful or recruit costumers.

•  
    Andrew Dennett

they say it is the way forward.well it took us 6 months of doing it here and there - i have over 300 customers.....

•  
    Thomas James Mitchell

And the chance you will make £££ with UW alone is unlikely. Otherwise you would not have 3 companies.

•  
    Andrew Dennett

and you don'tin UW have to recruit I know friends earning good income each month off it - and Thomas - come and see me in the shop I HAVE WORK TO DO I don't have time to humour you on here - final word on it your tying up time I don't have. So come see us if you have questions - Helena happy to talk about it - And Sugar, Trump, Branson all say residual income is the way forward but hey what do we/they know

•  
    Andrew Dennett

And 3 companies - we have over 60 properties. company 1 - I have a good successful computer business - 2 - and then there is the UW which I get paid well for but in the future I will get rid of the shop to just do that

•  
    Thomas James Mitchell

How much would you make on UW alone?

•  
    Andrew Dennett

mate welcome to block - you obviously don't listen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:23 AM

The best I can suggest is speak to the local police department.

Edited by NullPointerException, 28 November 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#3 computerrepair94

computerrepair94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:28 PM

Maybe I should try, its like, why has he got him self bullied into the scheme in the first place, he claims has not been bullied, and he would know if its not a scam, but its pretty much getting that way, the only profit goes to the upline, not the downline

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

A quick look around suggests it isn't a 'scam'. It may not be something you would recommend to your maiden aunt, it may be an ill-advised scheme but it does not appear to be in any way illegal.

You may be right about your friend being an idiot for getting involved in this, but presumably he is an adult idiot and fully capable of making his own decisions. I think you have gone as far as you reasonably can. If your friend has made a  mistake he will probably realise it sooner or later.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:10 AM

Well, if you get in early enough and have charisma, then it can be pretty good. But MLMs turns most people into annoying used-car-salesmen type folks!

#6 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:55 AM

But as Chris said, it might be or might not be a scam. If it does turn out to be, we'll get a loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users