Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update and System Restore no longer working in Windows 7 64 bit...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1297

mjl1297

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

I've been going around with this for a while now and I can't figure out what is going on. WU consistenly errors out on me when I try to download updates and system restore will no longer restore to any older points. I've also noticed that running all of the Microsoft Diskfix tools has somehow managed to lower my SSD space in the neighbourhood of 27 GB and I'd like to get that back. I don't even know where to start so can someone point me in the right direction. I've run every diagnostic tool and everything should be working. Safe mode doesn't help either. However if anyone cares to advise I would appreciate it.

Edited by hamluis, 28 November 2014 - 03:04 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

Hello there,

Have you launched "Windows Update troubleshooter" yet? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

Keep us posted! 

#3 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

Yes several times including a couple of times with the aid of a Microsoft tech. Everything comes back fixed and everything should work. Of course Microsoft dallies with you for about fifteen minutes or so and then begins pushing their premium support. One tech told me that I had registry corruption and several errors reporting in the System logs. I can vouch for the errors in the System logs. He told me a Repair Install from my system installation disc would not do any good. I find this hard to believe. Is that true? It's curious because I can browse to Microsoft.com in a browser but if I try pinging microsoft.com from the command line it times out. As far as I know it is the only server I'm having issues with. I have run sfc/scannow and it returns 100% integrity. All programs like Malwarebytes and Dr. Web are coming back clean as well. I did finally get System Restore to work in Safe Mode but the problem persists. Any thoughts are appreciated.

#4 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:05 AM

I have the following to add in the hopes someone may be able to advise me. I realise it is Thanksgiving and the days following but any help would be appreciated.

1) Installed the System Update Readiness Tool

2) Ran sfc/scannow from an elevated prompt within Windows 7 and it is telling me there are no integrity violations.

3) After doing that and running Windows Update check for updates it consistently returns the following error:

Code 8024402F Windows Update encountered an unknown error

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with Service Pack 1. I have been online with at least three MS techs all of whom had me run the usual troubleshooters to no avail. I can't do a repair install because it hangs at the update installation files stage. System Restore has been flaky as well. I did manage to finally get it to restore to an earlier date in safe mode but the WU problem persists. I'd really rather avoid a clean install if at all possible.

Should I have rebooted after any of the steps above? Also one of the MS techs said my registry was corrupt and that there were numerous errors in my system logs. He also said he alone had the training to solve this problem. He wanted $149.00. The tech before him only wanted $99.00. I'd like to know what is causing this so I can sort it myself in the future. Malwarebytes and Dr. Web have given me a clean bill of health after repairing a couple of minor issues. I am running Avast AV Free and Superantispyware Free on my computer along with Windows Firewall and Defender.

One other thing, Since I started doing all of these tests and running these analytical tools, something has really been eating up my hard disc space. I hope someone can help with that too.

AdwCleaner reports numerous corrupt files in the registry and a few other places. I haven't deleted anything yet. If you need more information let me know.

#5 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

Anyone? I don't appear to be gaining any traction with this.

#6 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:28 AM

Solved. Thank goodness for Tweaking.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users