Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost my administrative privileges

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 larryt52

larryt52

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:56 AM

Somehow, I have been locked out of functions in control panel. When I try to click on many of the tools, it tells me this app can't run on your pc. I have used several (adaware, malwarebytes, Microsoft) anti-virus tools in safe mode, but each reports no problems. I tried to restore (I know, I probably shouldn't have), but all I managed to do was lose Google Chrome. Most install exes I can't run, because I get the same message, about can't run apps. Can anyone here help? Thanks,

Larryt

ps My operating system is windows 8.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:53 AM

How many user accounts do you have?

Are you using an administrator user account to do these things?

Try creating a second administrator user account, then see if you can do what you have been attempting.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 larryt52

larryt52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

How many user accounts do you have?

Are you using an administrator user account to do these things?

Try creating a second administrator user account, then see if you can do what you have been attempting.

Thanks for the response. Since almost none of the apps in control panel work, I wasn't able to create another account. I did try. Mine is the only account. Nothing happens when I click on the user accounts folder in control panel. No response at all. Also, can anyone tell me what the Credentials icon is in control panel, and what it does?

Edited by larryt52, 28 November 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

The following is from the Windows website.

Credential Manager allows you to store credentials, such as user names and passwords that you use to log on to websites or other computers on a network. By storing your credentials, Windows can automatically log you on to websites or other computers. Credentials are saved in special folders on your computer called vaults. Windows and programs (such as web browsers) can securely give the credentials in the vaults to other computers and websites. For information about saving credentials in a vault, see Store passwords, certificates, and other credentials for automatic logon.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users