Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't find the specified file when rename folder in windows 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 firaziza

firaziza

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:50 AM

I accidently deleted of some stuff in the registry that cause I can't rename folder and the error said "can't find the specified file", I try everything including remove everything and reinstall windows as usual, but I can not do this, because I need media recovery. but when I create the recovery disk the error appear "The system could not find the environment option that was entered". please help :blush: 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:27 PM

Is that Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?

Create your installation media here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Even if you have not updated to 8.1 I would expect the above to work, as 8.1 was after all a free update.

However, I have not tested and have not Web searched for results.

Edited by HairCut, 28 November 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#3 firaziza

firaziza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

the same error appear "The system could not find the environment option that was entered" when I try to open the mediacreationtool.exe, I already try to open it in safemode, but I also can't do it

#4 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:06 AM

Do you have access to another Windows computer with which to create the media?

(note: the files might take a long time to download depending on your internet connection)

Further NB: you will need to enter your product key for Win 8 or 8.1 when you come to use your recovery media.

Edited by HairCut, 29 November 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#5 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

On reflection

I wonder if your account is damaged rather than the operating system?

Could you Enable the Administrator account and use it to create a second account to replace your damaged account?

Enable the Administrator account -- if you can:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

Use the Administrator account to copy the user files from the old account to the new account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users