Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best/Worst Computer Experiences You've Had So Far

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:28 AM

Based on a conversation I had with my father the other day (he's a guru) Think of the last couple of computers you've been through, which setups seemed to let you get the most work/play done? Did it make a difference if the specs were top of the line or custom or if the OS played nice? If you could tweak a lot or just deal with it as is? For example, had get Windows Vista on two laptops for school, worst experiences ever with both the hardware on one laptop and then OS itself; learned how to install WIndows 7/Linux distros on my own, much better experience even though Windows 7 is starting to act ridiculous and I can't get better hardware yet. I would say the best experience I have had so far maintaining a system so far (with my father helping with the occassional hardware update/memory expansion), is Linux Lite 2.0 on a laptop that's really kind of a lemon. I've gotten far more done on it from actual work to internet surfing than any computer I've ever used so far and I've been using them since I was like 3. I would love to put it on a better laptop and move away from Microsoft products entirely, but that will take while in this economy. So how about y'all?

Edited by bitesized1612, 28 November 2014 - 06:31 AM.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 princecharming

princecharming

• Banned Spammer
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:24 AM

If you want to know about my best or worst Computer experiences i Had so far, then i give my these answers :

1. Best - My best Computer experience i had so far was with ACIT Computer Education Centre. There is i learn a lot of good things, which helps me in my bright future till now also.

2. Worst - My worst Computer experience i had so far was with Sunrise Computer Centre. It was cheated with me.

#3 BitMonk

BitMonk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

Best experience:

My first PC I bought on my own was a Dell Dimensions 8300. Gosh, 2002ish, don't quite remember, at work right now, can't check my records. I bought it tower only with a graphics card installed as I learned I would have a bit bigger PSU and be guaranteed a slot on my motherboard. All the time I spent on that thing! Really started my computer adventure, learned how to maintain my own system. Did a mini upgrade some years later with a newer graphics card, RAM and a bigger hard drive. Played untold hours of first person shooters, got a digital camera and goofed around with editing, (I have 2000 pictures of my car!), and also began taking "computer classes" in the evening while I had that Dell.  

I work in the field now but that's where I got my start. Here's to my old Dell! :clapping:

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:06 PM

My best computer experience, well there where two of them that rank as equal. The first was coming across google sketchup, my first introduction to 3d modelling. The second great experience was learning blender(open source and free) and how to convert sketchup files into blender, once i had done this i had learnt all the basics required to build 3d models then texture, light, animate and render them. I was on xp at the time, though this could probably have been done on any operating system which supported the various programs.

My worst experience was trying to run "system restore" on a windows 8 laptop, i got this [please insert the most foul expletive you can in this location]ing flashing bar icon which didn't even indicate progress, like the one that windows update uses these days, the green bit flashes across repeatedly but never gives any indication how far through the process it is. This infuriating and stupid scrolling went on for hours, until i was forced to (don't try this people, it was a bad idea, almost as foolish as using system restore in the first place) turn the thing off the brutal way by pressing down the power button for 30 seconds. At this point it refused to boot and then after 10 minutes black but backlit screen gave me half an hour of the "falling dots circle" icon you see when logging onto windows 8. After this it finally reached the recovery enviornment, a system image on a USB stick effectively saved me from going insane. All this done with no other computer present with which to go online and read articles/ask for help. "refresh and reset" options are just as bad, system images are the only safe way to recover windows 8 to older working states.

Edited by rp88, 09 December 2014 - 03:14 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

My best was getting a ZX Spectrum + 3, where I could use a disk, instead of cassette.  The worst was when I hit space bar, and my head fell off.  Good thing I knew to press backspace to reattach it.

Edited by thelittleduck, 31 December 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#6 ssgtjeffward

ssgtjeffward

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

My best computer experience was when I was selected for special training supported by IBM.

My worst experience was the night I managed to single handedly bring down an IBM 3090 mainframe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users