Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hunting for a laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stryking

Stryking

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:10 PM

My budget for the new computer is: Under $800 (with shipping and taxes)

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?  Gaming

What software do you intend on using on the computer? games with infrequent music/video encoding

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? anywhere from indie to AAA titles. No need to be super pretty though

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Usually I'll have some sort of VOIP program running, a game, IRC client, Music Player and browser

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? HDD is irrelevant here

Will you be overclocking? No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Canada

How many monitors are you planning to use? The one provided with the laptop

Do you need peripherals? OS? No. Any version of Windows post-Vista

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? My Samsung ****top bit the bucket (thank god)

Please note I'm looking for a laptop with good build quality! Manufacturers recommended to me so far are Asus, MSI and Lenovo. I'm open to ideas though.

I want at least 6 gigs of RAM. If there's less it needs to be compatible with the two sitcks of 4GB that came with my Samsung NP355V5C

Screen should be 15.6 inches with a 720p resolution

Edited by Stryking, 27 November 2014 - 10:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

Any suggestions regarding this? 

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

#3 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

This as well: http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40/?sb=:000001CA:00005716:

#4 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

Shameless bump

#5 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

Go for a good laptop with base specification of :
i5 4 gen
6 gb ram
2 gb dedicated graphics memory, preferably nvidia
try getting an ssd if possible, but a minimum of 500gb hdd
optical drive if you use cd/dvd
I am not in Americas, so cannot pick a price and model. But I think the lenovo model is good. You may search for better deal.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

Either looks good, but the Lenovo doesn't say how much RAM it has, if less than the 8GB in the Acer go with the Acer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users