Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is going on with KB3018943

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:50 PM

The windows support page for the KB3018943 update is an "Oops! The page you are looking for may have a new location, or is no longer available." and doesn't give any information, i can still see this update listed as ready to be installed (within the list of updates i have yet to do in windows updates under control panel) but can't find ANY information about it. Has microsoft pulled it and left the update ready to be installed on some computers but not left the information page up? Or are other people able to read the page at https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3018943 but only i get the error message? what is going on here, why is there NO info about this update anywhere online?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

I have probably just been to the places you have been...(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45007)....and no luck either.

(Hmmm...reinforces my 'instinct' not to update to Win 8.)

and ..i am also getting the oops etc etc

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

Starting here https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3018943

I'm able to download Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8 x64-based systems (KB3018943): https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=dc1e84ef-1bc7-4fdd-bc48-a482af2c5a9f

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,893 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3018943 just gives me the "oops" error page, at that address, and googling the name of the update leads to three types of site.

1)that microsoft page which "is no longer available and may have a new location, or is no longer available"

2)forums where people have posted lniks to that page

3)this very forum thread, where no-one has yet worked out what is going on with this update

The second link you post does go somewhere ,Animal, the file it describes is about the same size as the one being offered by windows update. The publication date given also more or less matches, as does the comment that it is for windows 8. The knowledge base article linked to on that download page under the "related resources" sub-section just leads back to the oops page though. One has to wonder, why that page is missing,

Is microsoft trying to hand out an update without publishing the info that might let crooks exploit it before it is rolled out? but surely if they were then thye would just publish a working page with only the most innocous of details.

Is microsoft trying another trick like the KB2871389 and KB2973544 updates and wants some deniability? it is for windows 8 only according to the download page linked to from Animal's latest post.

Is microsoft too lazy to bother making the page, using the philosophy "we want to forget we ever released 8 so lets not describe it in much detail, no wait let's just put error messages on all the pages"?

Has microsoft cocked up and forgotten that the page exists? but they've got plenty of staff who should be verifying those pages work, especially for things that have just come out.

Has microsoft released an update which had bugs in it, they have put the error message on the page to try and cover up the whole affair? but then why would the update still be offering itslef to me, if MS had pulled it you would think they would get the update removed from my lists of "updates still to do" whenever i next "checked for updates".

Is the very name of this update a bug, and the name has appeared in my list of "updates yet to get" but there is no page because no such update has been created?

It's all very confusing.

The download page gives a little bit of helpful info but this is still mighty weird, one would think MS would have a page set up as usual describing the new update, not just a "dead" page.
I know personally i can't bring myself to make this update until there is actually a full page saying what it is for, i never open IE so should be safe for now (and my flash player is disabled in firefox except for when i visit a site that requires it and i manually switch the flash plugin from "deactivated" to "ask to activate".). I don't like leaving things not fully up-to-date, especially not with security updates, but this feels really weird right now.

Edited by rp88, 27 November 2014 - 08:22 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:15 PM

I agree it's not an ideal situation for an update and information is lacking. I merely point out that I get a different result than you do for that update.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3018943 just gives me the "oops" error page, at that address...

I don't get the 'Oops' page.  Something must be wrong at your end.

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,893 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3018943 just gives me the "oops" error page, at that address...

I don't get the 'Oops' page.  Something must be wrong at your end.

Please tell me what you are getting then. I am still getting oops when i visit that page. Just for comparisons, what country is each of us in, i'm in the UK and i think condobloke is in Australia, maybe it's a page which is shwoing for US users but not UK or Australian ones.

Edited by rp88, 28 November 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#8 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,893 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:10 AM

That page still isn't fixed, tried to visit it today, same "oops" error. Microsoft is one of the worlds largest companies but they can't even keep their own website working...

Can i ask again, for those of you who have seen the error message, and those of you who claim to have seen information on that page, which countires are you in, there might be a correlation.

Edited by rp88, 30 November 2014 - 03:10 AM.

#9 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:26 AM

Same goes for me. It's much of a blessing I update Windows only after making sure nothing bad is floating in the updates.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

In the US. No Error for me.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

It works for me ; now!

#12 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,893 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:08 PM

Works for me too now, first few lines on the page read

"Microsoft security advisory: Update for vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer: November 25, 2014

Microsoft has released a Microsoft security advisory about this issue for IT professionals. The security advisory contains additional security-related information. To view the security advisory, go to the following Microsoft website:
https://technet.microsoft.com/security/advisory/2755801 ....."

Maybe they got my "email"(you know web forms and all that where the company then replies by email if they can be bothered to read the web form someone sent them).

Seems from the more detailed security advisosry page they link to that whatever this is has been gpoing on for quite a while (the page being first published in 2012 and edited repeatedly including 25th nov 2014), finally i can install this update without having to fear the totally unknown.
Extra information, for some reason they don't recommend the most obvious mitigation, use chrome or firefox (or some other browser that isn't IE).

Edited by rp88, 01 December 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#13 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,893 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:25 PM

Just installed it now, didn't even want me to restart afterwards. Seems safe from bugs and doesn't seem to be one of those sneaky "forced upgrade to 8.1" updates. From what i can find about the update it was microsoft's answer to the recent security flaw found in flash player, anyone using chrome or firefox might have already updated flash for those and it seems this is how microsoft is bringing the security level of flash player in IE closer to that of flash player in firefox or chrome, i think that this update might infact be the same thing, only altered for patching the hole in the internet explorer version of flash player (because i think windows 8 computers have flash built in by default). I would suggest that having been a week for any crashes to be reported (and i don't think any have) and that the description page having appeared it should now be safe to run this update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users