Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow loading of files on External hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fonzo1979

Fonzo1979

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:40 PM

I recently copied a lot of pictures off my iPhone and my wife's samsung phone onto a STOR-RIGHT external hard drive. Now when I open some of the folders the previews of the pictures don't load and the external hard drive almost seems to 'go to sleep'. Also when I try to copy them back over to the laptop, even one by one it takes around 10-15 minutes to copy one picture!

I have scanned one of the folders with Sophos and it returns the below error messages.

"Returned SAV Interface error 0xa0040202: scan failed."

I have downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run a scan with that and it returned the below

PUP.Optional.Babylon.A
PUP.Optional.Softonic.A
PUP.Optional.Monetizer

I have quarantined these but from what I have read they don't seem to be that malicious?

I'm wondering if my external hard drive is corrupted as I've tried to scan this drive for viruses and for errors and it just seems to never make it to the end.

I am concerned as all our photos are on this drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:23 AM

Could be something else, but it could also be that the hard drive is dying. Don't do a bunch of scans or things to stress out the drive. Focus on getting your files off it. Make sure you are using the fastest usb port available on your computer (newer computers sometimes have one or more usb3.0 ports and mostly usb2.0. Older computers might have some usb1.0 ports which are the slowest).

I would connect it to a totally different computer in case it's a problem with the laptop causing this. In any case, precious files should not only exist in 1 location :|

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users