Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ibm Laptop Refuses To Start. Shows Error Message About A Corrupt File.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kjhogo

kjhogo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:21 PM

Hi I'm new to these forums and recently a family member has brought me an IBM laptop that refuses to boot up. When I press the power button the message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Selecrt 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

If you could help it would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Smooth

Mr Smooth

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:39 AM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Selecrt 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Thats what you have to do.

You have to be brave, shove in the disk, press the r for repair (not the R for recovery console) You will need you XP key and it will install XP again, replacing the files that are damaged.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:39 AM

You could try downloading, burn and image to CD, and boot with BartPE. When you are in go to Start> Run> sfc /scannow. Make sure there is a space after the sfc.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 kjhogo

kjhogo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:03 AM

i found the windows xp installation disc i have the serial number or key or whatnot and when i put the cd in the tray and wait for it to load nothing happens.
also if this reinstallation works will it delete all my family member's files.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

Before you just go sticking the Windows Install disk and doing an installation of any kind there is something you have to do first. If you do not want to lose any data you have to back up your data. Then you do the repair. I will give you instructions on both and I suggest printing both if these for reference,

PC World = Ultimate Backup Guide
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,101767,00.asp

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#6 kjhogo

kjhogo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:26 AM

how can i back up my data without being able to turn on the computer?
and also i placed the reinstallation disc in and there is still no response

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:47 AM

If it will not boot to the cd it sounds more like hardware problem. The power supply to be specific.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:00 PM

He says it can not boot from the cd. Well maybe the BIOS is not setup to boot from the cd-rom drive.

You check the boot order in the BIOS:
http://www.google.com/search?q=enter+bios

#9 kjhogo

kjhogo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

I appreciate all your help guys

if anyone has Aol Instant messanger and could perhaps give me a step by step or anything to help

my screen name is KJHogo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users