Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Reset

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 little_wizard

little_wizard

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hello, I just ordered a bunch of new parts for a new computer build (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, SSD) and have had this problem ever since I put everything together.  Thought I would ask the experienced folks on here for some help to see if I could resolve it without having to send the motherboard back.  I have looked around the internet on various forums and so far haven't found many with the same issue

PROBLEM:

The motherboard is unable to reset/restart.  Saving changes & resetting from BIOS, restarting from Windows (7 & 8 - I tried both), and pressing the reset button on front panel of case all result in the same response:  all programs/BIOS is shut down (screen goes black), then the fans rev-up and it stays that way until I force power down by pressing and holding in the power button.  essentially it freezes right before restarting - no beep sound is produced from Mobo speaker. 

Shutting the computer down from Windows seems to work normally, and booting up the computer works as well: currently boots to my SSD with win 8.1 without a problem

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS:

I have tried using different RAM (corsair CMX8GX3M2A 1600C9), unplugging the GPU and using on-board video, booting from different drives using different versions of Windows (7 and 8.1), unplugging drives, updating all the drivers, unplugging everything and re-plugging it all back in, and updating BIOS from version 1208 to 2103.  All of these attempts were unsuccessful in producing a proper reset.  

MY SUSPICIONS:

I can't help but feel as if this is something that could be fixed in BIOS, because it gets so close to resetting, but something seems to be preventing it from turning over.  Sine the problem persists even in BIOS resets, I feel like it has to be located somewhere around there (before win boots - probably not a driver thing).  It could be a faulty motherboard, but I am unsure.

I have emailed the ASUS and they told me my reset button on Mobo is not working and suggested I get it replaced by the seller.   

if the reset switch wasn't working, why does it get so close to resetting?

I'm pretty sure all the other hardware works fine

MY SPECS:

MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z87-A, rev 1.02 BIOS version (originally 1208) updated to 2103

CPU:  Intel i5-4590 LGA1150 3.3ghz

MEMORY: G. Skill  F3-2133C9D-8GXL 8g (4x2)

PSU: corsair HX750

GPU: MSI NX8600GT

SSD (main drive): Samsung 840 evo 250GB

I hope that someone here can shed some light on this, and heal my computer! 

If you read this today, then happy thanksgiving ;)

and THANKS for any help - srsly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hello, and Welcome

You could rule out the reset switch of the case by pulling the leads from the motherboard and shorting the two pins. The safer approach would be to get one of these.

#3 little_wizard

little_wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

Thanks JohnC,

I think the switch works fine, because it worked normally on my old motherboard.  Also, when I push the restart switch it does start the soft boot process, the problem lies after everything is shut down and stuck in this empty, but heavy fan ridden limbo state.  

I will try unplugging the reset switch and shorting the pins, just to be sure

#4 little_wizard

little_wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:28 PM

When I unplugged the reset button, shorting did not provide any different results, and resetting from BIOS still did not work.  

While I was at it, I did some more troubleshooting in BIOS:

tinkered with CSM (no difference to reset) -- the normal boot only works when it is enabled and "Boot device control" set to legacy OPROM and UEFI

tried disabling Direct Key (no difference to reset)

disabling "Fast Boot" and with it enabled, changing SATA support to boot drive only -- both with no difference to reset

--> as I mentioned in the opening description, whenever I change anything in BIOS and exit, I have to choose "Save changes and reset" to keep the changes, which brings me to the problem where I have to force it to power off completely -- straight from BIOS this process is faster because it doesn't have to close out of windows, it just goes directly to increased fan power and black screen.  and stays there..

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:47 PM

I don't think the reset problem would be BIOS related as you would hear a lot more people having the same problem. I tend to think it's a motherboard problem.

It would take a lot of effort but you could remove everything and breadboard the motherboard to narrow down the problem. There are other people on the board with more hardware experience than me, one being zingo156. I would wait and hopefully he can give some of his thoughts on the problem.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:41 PM

I would suspect the problem lies on the connector on the motherboard where the reset switch clicks in. You could have them plugged in the wrong spot, or you you could have the polarities reversed. Some motherboards it doesnt matter-but many, if not most, if you get the wires switched where it connects to the mother board, the switch will not work. Check where it plugs in for proper installation.

If thats not the problem, I would suspect either the switch itself is bad, or the part on the motherboard that the switch connects to is defective. If that makes any sense. I highly doubt its a BIOS or memory problem, the reset switch is all hardware-either its hooked up wrong, or somethings broke-either on the switch or the motherboard end.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 little_wizard

little_wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

I don't think the reset problem would be BIOS related as you would hear a lot more people having the same problem. I tend to think it's a motherboard problem.

It would take a lot of effort but you could remove everything and breadboard the motherboard to narrow down the problem. There are other people on the board with more hardware experience than me, one being zingo156. I would wait and hopefully he can give some of his thoughts on the problem.

hmm, not sure if I would trust myself to breadboard the mobo, ha.  I don't even own a breadboard :s

beginning to think that I may have to send it back to newegg as a malfunctioning board..

I am definitely curious to hear what other thoughts circulate around this issue, though

#8 little_wizard

little_wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:30 AM

I would suspect the problem lies on the connector on the motherboard where the reset switch clicks in. You could have them plugged in the wrong spot, or you you could have the polarities reversed. Some motherboards it doesnt matter-but many, if not most, if you get the wires switched where it connects to the mother board, the switch will not work. Check where it plugs in for proper installation.

If thats not the problem, I would suspect either the switch itself is bad, or the part on the motherboard that the switch connects to is defective. If that makes any sense. I highly doubt its a BIOS or memory problem, the reset switch is all hardware-either its hooked up wrong, or somethings broke-either on the switch or the motherboard end.

I have the white wire going to the ground and the blue one to the power (of the reset pins) using one of those connectors that helps everything go into the correct spot on the panel pins (came with the Mobo).  I'll try switching the polarity to see what happens

I was wondering, if you reset from Windows or BIOS, does the computer somehow still use the reset switch from the panel connectors?  and if you unplug that, would resets be impossible from  those sources?

#9 little_wizard

little_wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:53 AM

just tried switching the polarities of reset button - no luck

also, a friend pointed me to this post . the problem seems slightly different, as my computer doesn't even make it to the ASUS screen upon rebooting.  Could they be related?

I have the Intel Rapid Start tool disabled on my mobo, so would that even affect it? 

upon researching the tool, I noticed the requirements for the software are for an LGA1155 processor, where mine is LGA1150, so would it not work?

it seems like a complicated thing to set up, so I could hate to mess something up

sorry for the barrage of Q's and thanks for all the input

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

I would try removing every thing that is not needed for the computer to post and then try the save settings and restart. Remove: dvd drives, hard drives, pci/pcie cards. Leave only the minimum required hardware installed: cpu, cpu cooler, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the motherboard, the psu, and then a keyboard and monitor. Reset your CMOS either using the jumpers or removing the power cable and pulling out the cmos button cell battery.

If at this point you still have the same problem, remove all of the hardware from the case and try with the minimum required hardware running the motherboard outside of the case on a non conductive surface such as a wooden table. I have seen a single lose screw behind a motherboard causing similar problems on a few occasions. You can power the mainboard on by shorting the power button pins on the board, this is exactly what the power button does, so do not be worried about causing any damage, just be careful so you do not touch other pins and the power button pins at the same time.

Visually inspect all of the mainboard USB ports for any bent or shorting pins.

If you have a successful bios save and restart at any point, put another stick of ram in, and try again. Sometimes a faulty slot, or cpu channel problem can cause issues. It seems unlikely because as you mentioned the computer seems to run fine. If there was a ram related issue, you would likely have problems with the computer posting every time, and or crashes/bsod from windows.

My guess at the moment would be a board issue...

Edited by zingo156, 28 November 2014 - 09:35 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#11 little_wizard

little_wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

good idea, Zingo156.

I have already tried the board with cpu, cpu cooler, both ram, psu, mobo, keyboard & mouse, 1 drive (ssd), and panel connectors -  - outside of the case and same issue. 

but 

I will try stripping down even further, as that is always a good way to rule out things. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow and report back

funny thing is I bought another one of these boards used at a store nearby just to do trouble shooting (wondering if it would have the same problem) and that board wouldn't even boot to BIOS.  dead (returned) 

so I thought "well this one is so close, maybe I'll just try and figure it out"

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

lets clarify something-does the computer boot fine from the power button, or from the restart button in windows? its just won't reset from the reset button, correct? 

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#13 little_wizard

little_wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:24 AM

lets clarify something-does the computer boot fine from the power button, or from the restart button in windows? its just won't reset from the reset button, correct? 

The computer boots fine from the power button, and everything seems to function normally (except for restarting/resetting).  Shut-down (from Windows) is normal - closes out and computer goes off.

the problem is resetting via any form -- whether it is restarting from Windows (start->power options), or pressing the reset button on my tower case (hooked up to panel on mobo) or saving/resetting from BIOS (such as after making changes)  

another clarification that may be worth pointing out is that after saving/resetting from BIOS the settings are saved.  Also, when restarting Windows after updates, the updates do seem to have been installed properly.  Both of these situations result in the same problem I have, though -- after everything is "shut down" the power light stays on and the fans rev-up super loud - and stay that way . so the only thing I can do at this point is to press and hold the power button.

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:28 PM

it sounds like its a motherboard/BIOS issue. You may, if your comfortable doing it, try flashing the BIOS. 

Sorry for the late reply, I dont often get on as much as I should.

picard5.jpg

#15 little_wizard

little_wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:56 PM

I would try removing every thing that is not needed for the computer to post and then try the save settings and restart. Remove: dvd drives, hard drives, pci/pcie cards. Leave only the minimum required hardware installed: cpu, cpu cooler, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the motherboard, the psu, and then a keyboard and monitor. Reset your CMOS either using the jumpers or removing the power cable and pulling out the cmos button cell battery.

If at this point you still have the same problem, remove all of the hardware from the case and try with the minimum required hardware running the motherboard outside of the case on a non conductive surface such as a wooden table. I have seen a single lose screw behind a motherboard causing similar problems on a few occasions. You can power the mainboard on by shorting the power button pins on the board, this is exactly what the power button does, so do not be worried about causing any damage, just be careful so you do not touch other pins and the power button pins at the same time.

Visually inspect all of the mainboard USB ports for any bent or shorting pins.

If you have a successful bios save and restart at any point, put another stick of ram in, and try again. Sometimes a faulty slot, or cpu channel problem can cause issues. It seems unlikely because as you mentioned the computer seems to run fine. If there was a ram related issue, you would likely have problems with the computer posting every time, and or crashes/bsod from windows.

My guess at the moment would be a board issue...

I didn't have a chance to reply earlier, but I did try booting with just CPU & fan, Power, keyboard, display, and 1 stick of ram.  I used the "straight to BIOS" button to boot, but had the same problem after exiting and resetting.   The pins look fine on the board.

Safe to say it's just a board issue?  that's what I'm thinking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users