Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Now e-cigarettes can give you malware

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:50 PM

E-cigarettes may be better for your health than normal ones, but spare a thought for your poor computer – electronic cigarettes have become the latest vector for malicious software, according to online reports.

Many e-cigarettes can be charged over USB, either with a special cable, or by plugging the cigarette itself directly into a USB port. That might be a USB port plugged into a wall socket or the port on a computer – but, if so, that means that a cheap e-cigarette from an untrustworthy supplier gains physical access to a device.

A report on social news site Reddit suggests that at least one “vaper” has suffered the downside of trusting their cigarette manufacturer. “One particular executive had a malware infection on his computer from which the source could not be determined,” the user writes. “After all traditional means of infection were covered, IT started looking into other possibilities.

“The made in China e-cigarette had malware hardcoded into the charger, and when plugged into a computer’s USB port the malware phoned home and infected the system.”

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/21/e-cigarettes-malware-computers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

Now Reddit posts are news, rather than blog blather...

#3 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the posting NickAu1. I need to inform a few people I know pronto.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

The report is purely speculation (lies). The charger was blamed even though it was never tested (the blogger says this later), there was no evidence whatsoever. To arrive at the conclusion it was the charger they asked the executive if there were "changes in his life recently" and he said he had switched to ecigs from conventional cigarettes. "And that was the answer they were looking for".... what? huh?

As an IT guy I don't ask about changes in peoples lives when trying to determine malware vectors, and I certainly don't attribute anything without verifying it. That's not computer science. That's witchdoctory.

The post is full of holes and blatantly a fairytale. Just more anti-ecig propaganda.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

Not that we shouldn't be aware of USB devices posing a threat, and autorun should be disabled on all Windows systems.

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

Bit like the iPhone chargers that had malware on the chips and could sniff everythign you did while the phone/ipad was charging.

they are still selling them in China in the flea markets i believe.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:49 PM

Or your desk lamp might even be hacked.

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/coversnitch-eavesdropping-lightbulb/

#8 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:12 AM

But you can rest assured that your refrigerator isn't sending spam.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/despite-news-your-refrigerator-not-yet-sending-spam

(This is old news now.)

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,708 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:31 PM

Bit like the iPhone chargers that had malware on the chips and could sniff everythign you did while the phone/ipad was charging.

they are still selling them in China in the flea markets i believe.

There was an update a few months ago now to the iPhone os and since then my phone Wont charge using an 3rd party charger.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:18 AM

And probably added 25% to the price of "original" chargers too.

#11 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:59 AM

Anti-ecig? It wouldn't matter, because either way damage is done to the body. Reddit might not be the utmost reliable news provider, but it is still something.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:59 PM

Anti-ecig? It wouldn't matter, because either way damage is done to the body. Reddit might not be the utmost reliable news provider, but it is still something.

Reddit is not news provider, it's a social blog... I'm amazed at how gullible people are. (or am I anymore? :whistle: ) The author even goes on to say it is just a story in this example, after it has hit world news. Of course it's just a story... it's on Reddit. lol.

It seems irrelevant that ecigs are about 1000x less damaging for the body and 10x more effective for most smokers for quitting burning tobacco... as long as big pharma keeps getting paid for ineffective nicotine replacement products and governments keep raking in billions of dollars in tax. Ban them! Ban them! Big pharma and big tobacco billions are more important! Think about the children for heavens sakes!

#13 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

Reddit is not news provider, it's a social blog... I'm amazed at how gullible people are. (or am I anymore? :whistle: ) The author even goes on to say it is just a story in this example, after it has hit world news. Of course it's just a story... it's on Reddit. lol.

It seems irrelevant that ecigs are about 1000x less damaging for the body and 10x more effective for most smokers for quitting burning tobacco... as long as big pharma keeps getting paid for ineffective nicotine replacement products and governments keep raking in billions of dollars in tax. Ban them! Ban them! Big pharma and big tobacco billions are more important! Think about the children for heavens sakes!

Electronic cigarette. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

In general, they have a heating element that atomizes a liquid solution known as e-liquid. E-liquids are usually a mixture of propylene glycol, glycerin, nicotine, and flavourings.[1] Others have similar ingredients but without nicotine.

Ever been to a dance club and seen the smoke machine pumping out smoke for visual effects? Well, the smoke machine fluid, that generates the smoke is basically the same, a mixture of propylene glycol, glycerin, water, a flavouring.

If your interested in tobacco, and the smoke, read this: http://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/bitstream/111111111/8885/1/7472%20-%20EUR22783EN_Geiss_Kotzias.pdf

And here. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK53014/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:20 AM

As far as the chemical compositions of the toxins being pumped out go:

electronic ones contain a few nasty substances in trace amounts,

regular ones contain the same nasty substances in much larger amounts, plus a whole array of other much worse pollutants.

Neither is healthy but given that one of the options just gives trace amounts and the other gives the same chemicals in larger quantities alongside other poisons it is clear which is the lesser of the two toxins.

"Smoke" machines in clubs by the way probably won't use smoke at all, just like in the theatre they will probably be using solid carbon dioxide (dry ice) immersed in hot water, or dropped on a hot metal plate. This will produce an effect that looks like whitish/pale smoke whilst not containing any carbon particles, rather than nucleating on microscopic lumps of soot(in normal smoke from fires of any kind) the water in the air will condense(because of how cold the carbon dioxide is) into fine droplets which produce the same visual effect.

Edited by rp88, 30 November 2014 - 03:20 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#15 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:23 AM

Yes, you are correct. Reddit wasn't meant to be BBC, but its users make it a BBC clone, with hoaxes and false information.

Ecigs may or may not bot a thousand times less damaging, but it certainly is smoking, and smoking is bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users