Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing RAM capacity on cached

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer folks, I have a question.

Recently I replaced my old RAM with 2 new 4GB DDR3 (that means I have 8GB of RAM).

However, a recent FRST scan shows that over 3GB of the RAM is "cached", and the rest (a little more than 4GB) is free.

Can anyone explain this? I use Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

Caching RAM is RAM that is currently in use.

The ram is a faster type of memory where processes are transferred while they are running in order to making the loading and running of the process faster.

A cache is exactly what RAM is supposed to do.  Windows processes, running programs, and other services all transfer information to the RAM, but when they are closed, they are removed from the RAM but remain on the Hard Drive that they came from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users