Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Recording

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

I would really like to record some audio clips from my favorite radio station Podcasts, then publish it to Social Media.  I took a look at VLC Media Player but could not figure it out, there were too many choices as to what kind of formats and such too check.  I tried to just choose the first on the list for each category but that did not work either.  Thanks pcpunk!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

Sound capture is simplest with external sources but the PC hardware needs the ability to monitor what's being streamed or provided by other source (USB, composite/analog) via minijacks on a sound card or back panel if equipted with on-board audio.  Then the control panel and sound device enabling options need to selected to set the hardware and proper drivers.  Try a freebie I found that might help, AUDACITY is pretty good at detecting the hardware and drivers for most any configuration.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

Audio-recorder is a handy tool allows to record your favorite music and audio to file. It supports for recording devices, such as microphone, webcam, audio card, music/movie players, Skype calls, browsers, etc.

With the Gstreamer plugins, the recorder supports output formats: OGG, Flac, MP3, AAC, and WAV.

Press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open terminal. When it opens, run commands below one by one to add the PPA, update package lists, and install the recorder:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:osmoma/audio-recorder

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install audio-recorder

If you don’t want to add the PPA, you can grab the .deb package from Launchpad Page and click open it with Ubuntu Software Center and finally install the program.

For more output audio formats support, install gstreamer plugins (ubuntu 14.04 & higher):

sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3

http://youtu.be/3mUzEicUHFQ

Edited by NickAu1, 27 November 2014 - 04:45 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:53 AM

Thanks!  You guys don't like VLC, or don't have experience with it?  In case you forgot, it comes with my LMM17 so would be my first choice.   

Am I going to run into the same issue with one of these Audio players, not understanding what format to choose?  I ask because I am hesitant to install software that I don't need, as my Linux Partition is not all that big.  I am guessing there is a good reason that you would suggest these other players over VLC, could you elaborate just a little?  As some of you know, I need something that is easy to use or with a good manual.  Thanks pcpunk!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:08 PM

no experience with vlc so trying google reveals https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=record+vlc you might want to add your version of vlc so you definately get the correct instructions. did you try the man page for vlc? to get to the man page open a terminal and type 'man vlc'. almost every linux command has a man page. (I have run across a command with no man page guys)

YOU ALSO might want to try ffmpeg.

Edited by bmike1, 29 November 2014 - 01:35 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:44 PM

I use vlc. I just tried recording some radio there to see if I could replicate the issue you are having, but I don't understand what the problem is. This is what I did:

1) open radio stream in vlc.

2) click "view" tab, select "advanced controls"

3) click the red record button

That's all there is to it. It records in mp4 format by default, and recordings are saved by default in ~/Music on my computer. I wasn't asked to select any format from any menu.

If you still can't figure it out, could you post the url of Podcasts radio station?

Edited by Al1000, 29 November 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,251 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

not understanding what format to choose?

What's wrong with good old MP 3? Unless I am mistaken MP3 can be played on anything.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

I use vlc. I just tried recording some radio there to see if I could replicate the issue you are having, but I don't understand what the problem is. This is what I did:

1) open radio stream in vlc.

2) click "view" tab, select "advanced controls"

3) click the red record button

That's all there is to it. It records in mp4 format by default, and recordings are saved by default in ~/Music on my computer. I wasn't asked to select any format from any menu.

If you still can't figure it out, could you post the url of Podcasts radio station?

That is what I did Al1000, but it did not seem to do anything, and, I did not hear any audio.  Aw-Snap, I remember what the problem, GoogleChrome does not like iheart radio, but, I did not get the same persistent Shockwave Flash warning, just came up once and went away.  And, perhaps I need to be signed in to iheart-but can't find my password omg! the only pass that I have misplaced ever!  

Al1000, Perhaps you are also using Google Chrome and you could try playing their podcasts for me to see if you have this same issue.  You don't need to sign in to it, even in FireFox and it works.  I should be good now, I'll give it a go again tomorrow.  http://www.iheart.com/show/23901151/

Edited by pcpunk, 01 December 2014 - 08:19 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:36 AM

I couldn't listen to anything on that site, as it kept asking me to log in, but by the looks of it I guess it has its own media player. Whereas to stream radio through a media player installed on your computer such as VLC, you need access to a stream rather than an online media player.

I searched the internet for "iheart radio stream," and found some info that said iheart changes the url of its stream every 5 - 10 minutes. I would guess they do so in order to prevent people streaming iheart through their own media players, so that you have to listen on their site.

So your best option might be something like this:

Audio Recorder is a small utility for recording audio. Its able to capture output from your soundcard, microphone, web browser even Skype; basically if it plays through your speakers Audio Recorder can record it.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/audio-recorder-for-linux-easily-record-audio-streams-to-mp3

I've never used it but it looks straightforward enough, although says it's for Ubuntu and I couldn't say whether it would work in Mint. If no-one here knows, you could always post that link on the Mint forum and ask if anyone there knows if it will work or if there's anything similar that does.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,251 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

Mint is Buntu based so it should/will

Arch Linux .

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

Thanks guys, I ran into some issues playing around, so I will take a look at this tomorrow.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

http://www.itworld.com/article/2701761/enterprise-software/install-audio-recorder-in-linux-mint-16.html

published 2 January last, for 16 but should still apply?

:wizardball: Wiz

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,251 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

http://www.itworld.com/article/2701761/enterprise-software/install-audio-recorder-in-linux-mint-16.html

published 2 January last, for 16 but should still apply?

:wizardball: Wiz

Didn't I give the instructions on how to install from PPA in post 3?

Arch Linux .

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:40 AM

Oops, knew I'd seen that osmoma Repo somewhere

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:47 AM

LOL, I missed that too. Didn't realise the application I posted a link to in post #9 is the same as the one Nick posted a link to in post #3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users