Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paranoid and portscanned

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Texet

Texet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:38 AM

Hey there guys;

I run a Windows 2008 Server for development of a game I'm writing; I'm the only developer and I haven't really got the budget to employ a security professional. Sorry that I'm coming to you with my issues but I don't really know where else to go. 

One of the applications I'm writing accepts incoming TCP requests from the internet. I'm the only person who connects to the application and the application uses some open source material that logs malformed packets. Yesterday I opened the logs and saw that there'd been a malformed packet sent to the server from (116.113.96.171) an IP that is apparently of chinese origin - that's not my IP and I live nowhere near china. Am I correct in assuming this was a portscan?

If so, I assume someone was searching for vulnerabilities in my system; the applications I write use open source code that there are no known exploits for, plus my own alterations and additions which, as this is a learning project for me, may or may not be exploitable.

My question to you is; what's the likelihood that I'm infected? What's the best way to go about checking? Whilst this is just a learning project for me, I'd hate for someone to be able to steal my code and take credit for it before its published.

Thanks a lot; I'm sure I've not provided all the information you need so feel free to ask me any questions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users