Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't create new partition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gm1138

gm1138

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:11 AM

I have a 32GB MicroSDHC card with the following partitions:

• a 286MB FAT32 EFI partition
  • a 15GB ext3 Linux partition
  • 14GB of unallocated space

I want to create a partition in the unallocated space to share between Windows 8 and Linux. I have done this many times on my old laptop's HD, but I can't get it to work with this card.

When I open Disk Management as administrator and right-click the unallocated space, all options to create a new volume are greyed out. DISKPART says the operation is not supported on a non-empty removable disk. (These issues happen in both Windows 8 and Windows 7.)

In Linux I tried creating a new partition (either primary NTFS or FAT32), but Windows doesn't mount it. Disk Management can see the new partition but won't format it (fails with an unexpected error.) DISKPART considers the Linux partition and the new partition to both be Partition 0 and will only select the Linux partition.

Can someone offer any advice on this problem? Thanks!

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:16 AM

GParted may help, go here ... http://gparted.org/download.php .

#3 gm1138

gm1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

Thanks ElfBane, I actually already used GParted to create the partition from within Ubuntu. Neither Windows 8.1 nor Windows 7 will mount the partition created by GParted. This makes me wonder if there is something that Windows doesn't like about the MiniSDHC card?

#4 leafwarbler

leafwarbler

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:07 AM

There is a free software that can help you. MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition is efficient to manage you disk. If you have any problem about creating new partition, converting files system, converting mbr/gpt, recovery partition, and so on, this tool is your best choice. 

#5 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:50 AM

This is quite an old post.   :bubbles:

#6 gm1138

gm1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

Haha I forgot about this post! The answer to this problem, and I don't recall thd specifics, is that Windows has different rules (which are outdated and inappropriate in my opinion) for 'removable media'. As a result Windows doesn't expect to see and will not access additional partitions. Unless the removable media flag can be changed to non-removable, which is a whole other can of worms and something I was unable to do. I simply gave up in frustration.

But in this day and age of oodles of memory and a complete redefinition removable media, in my opinion there is really no reason Windows should waste time worrying about if media is 'removable' and denying us access. My external hard drives are allowed to have many partitions and they are connected by flimsy loose cords, whereas that little memory card is plugged solid and out of the way and never gets removed. I wonder if Windows 10 has this same policy or if Windows could be patched to ignore the policy, since the memory card status can't be changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users