Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Am I infected?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iakona

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:36 PM

Hi there, last night I downloaded a file from a file host that I've previously used without problem.. however I forgot to untick the download with the download manager option which prompted a .exe to appear in my downloads. Chrome didn't like it and gave me the option to keep or discard, to which I promptly selected discard. Moments later norton file insight popped up in the bottom right hand corner, scanning a file for about 15-20 seconds before disappearing. Curiously I checked the task history to see that Norton had allowed the threat. I don't recognise the website that the threat apparently came from, and even then according to Norton that site is clean.

I've tried searching for the file in the appdata\local\google...\cache directory but it no longer exists. I've tried running malware bytes and spybot and neither have found anything. What should i do next?

Edited by iakona, 26 November 2014 - 11:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bandicoot_

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:45 PM

Please try AdwCleaner. You can get it through this site's downloads section. Copy and paste the log results here.

#3 iakona

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:06 AM

# AdwCleaner v4.102 - Report created 27/11/2014 at 05:01:03
# Updated 23/11/2014 by Xplode
# Database : 2014-11-26.1 [Live]
# Operating System : Windows 8.1  (64 bits)
# Username : ShonaMc - SHONA
# Running from : C:\Users\ShonaMc\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Scan
***** [ Services ] *****
***** [ Files / Folders ] *****
File Found : C:\Users\ShonaMc\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxp_services.hearstmags.com_0.localstorage-journal
***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****
***** [ Shortcuts ] *****
***** [ Registry ] *****
***** [ Browsers ] *****
-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17416
-\\ Mozilla Firefox v33.0 (x86 en-GB)
-\\ Google Chrome v39.0.2171.71
AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [908 octets] - [27/11/2014 04:56:36]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [829 octets] - [27/11/2014 05:01:03]
########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [888 octets] ##########

#4 boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,470 posts
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hello.. you need to clean those files.
Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool. Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • The tool will start to update the database, please wait a bit.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S#].txt) will open automatically (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.

If needed have you run Norton™ Power Eraser

Edited by boopme, 02 December 2014 - 12:58 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users