Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate Files - why so many

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gburgess9

gburgess9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

I have duplicate files in C:\Windows\system32\Driver Store\Repository and C:\Windows\winsxs\.  Do you need them all ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:13 PM

Here is more information on Winsxs

Just leave your driver repository alone. Even though there are many files they are tiny in size. Not worth possibly wrecking your system to reclaim a few MB you don't really need.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:10 AM

Agreed...those files are not causing any harm as long as your system is operating as it should...and duplicate files are often installed by applications expecting to find those files in the specific location where they installed said files.  I suspecf that the program may malfunction if that location happens to be devoid of the desired file.

Louis

#4 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:21 AM

Hello,

Just to add some extra information here. A lot of the duplicate files are not actually duplicates, they are often one file (on the HDD) but are showing in more than one location, these are known as 'Hardlinks'.

If know what the path of a driver inside C:\Windows\system32\Driver Store\Repository and you open up a CMD window and run the following command fsutil hardlink list filepath, you will see the hardlinks.

For example here is a file I picked at random: "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbhub3.inf_amd64_e5b67801fbd84e76\USBHUB3.SYS"
Buy running the above command you can see that all three results are actually the same file, but just showing I more than one location.
\Windows\System32\drivers\USBHUB3.SYS
\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbhub3.inf_amd64_e5b67801fbd84e76\USBHUB3.SYS
\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_usbhub3.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17292_none_e691f6e52106d89a\USBHUB3.SYS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users