Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell reboots itself, booting up with Xpud gets errors.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brigg

brigg

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:45 PM

Note: This was in the Infected? Forum for a couple weeks with no responses. Maybe it belongs here.

On my Dell laptop Latitude D620 running XP. 

I had been getting messages that my Firefox has been running slow. I followed the recomendations last week - clearing cache and stuff like that. I've been better about powering off at night vs. my usual leave it on all the time. 

But a couple weeks ago - Tuesday and Wednesday, the screen has been going blank and or rebooting without cause and or locking up, causing me to power off frequently. So frequently I have to use another computer to post this. 

Before giving up today I ran Super Anti-Spyware, Malwarebytes and Avast Anti-virus. The only program to find anything was the first, and it only found ad-tracking.

I found a boot USB and booted up to XPud. 

It has stayed on - no problems for the last half hour at the XPud screen, which, by the time I gave up on my Dell, would have been impossible to go for that long problem free.

XPud ran through some stuff and here are the results:

3 lines like this, with the first long number being diff each time

[     6.4453031 sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: =write through

giving up

ximit: No such file or directory (errno2): unable to connect to X server

ximit: No such process (errno3): Server error

sauth:(argv):1: bad display name "(none):0" in "remove" command

sh: no job control in this shell

sh-4.0#

Anyone know xPud messages? 

Kansas City Mo area - Central time zone 

Dell D620 Laptop    -   Operating System:  Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3     -     CPU:  Intel Core Duo T2300E @ 1.66GHz 51 °C     -  Yonah 65nm Technology

RAM:  1.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 267MHz (4-4-4-12)    -     Motherboard:  Dell Inc. 53 °C     -     Graphics:  Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)
Storage:  74GB SAMSUNG HM080HI (SATA) 36 °C     -     Optical Drives:  TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C     -     Audio:  SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
PAE Enabled - Installation Date: 3/20/2009     -     Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)     -     Intel Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family (Dell)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:36 AM

I wouldn't bother troubleshooting xpud. It's not going to get you closer to fixing your laptop problems. You can use another linux distro if you have a need to be running one.

It could be overheating, is it clogged up with dust?

Disable automatic restart so you can see blue screen's (if they are bsod restarts) http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/disautorestart.htm

#3 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

HI - thanks so much for the reply.

I disassembled the unit and cleaned the fan, keboard - there was not a lot of dust.

In looking for all the little screwdrivers, I came across an old power supply.

After reassembling, I used the new power supply and booted up to some screens on XPud that were different than what I was getting

before.

There was a menu, everything looked good.

I poked around and the power stayed on for about 20 minutes, so I decided to check it out and boot as normal.

I did and everything came up find - except Mozilla seems slow, and a "script" failed right away.

It's been abour 40 minutes without any issues.

Amazing. I am back in business.

Kansas City Mo area - Central time zone 

Dell D620 Laptop    -   Operating System:  Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3     -     CPU:  Intel Core Duo T2300E @ 1.66GHz 51 °C     -  Yonah 65nm Technology

RAM:  1.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 267MHz (4-4-4-12)    -     Motherboard:  Dell Inc. 53 °C     -     Graphics:  Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)
Storage:  74GB SAMSUNG HM080HI (SATA) 36 °C     -     Optical Drives:  TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C     -     Audio:  SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
PAE Enabled - Installation Date: 3/20/2009     -     Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)     -     Intel Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family (Dell)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users