Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading current laptop or buying a new one- need help deciding.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 b2012

b2012

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:55 PM

My budget for the new computer is: up to about $800, but if I can get something good enough for cheaper that would be great

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? email, browsing, programming, graphics

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Microsoft Office Proefssional Plus or Office 365ProPlus full suite, Possibly Microsoft Project and/or Visio, a solid Security product such as Kaspersky or BitDefender,

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Sometimes, usually the Sims, maybe a rtacing game but I don't have too much free time.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Lots of programs open at a time

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? 15-20 gb

Will you be overclocking? No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Yes

How many monitors are you planning to use? Laptop screen, and already have a new desktop external HDMI ASUS Monitor

Do you need peripherals? OS?
Yes, I need great wireless networking capability, especially printing and scanning with the ability to scan large files at once and for the network to handle  large PDF files to be scanned to computer. (I need a decent to good network card, 5GHz is ideal).

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Windows 7 Pro Laptop w/ 4GB of RAM is slow, the HDD will need replacing is about 3 or 4 years old, and a new OEM battery costs almost $100 dollars. I am a college student......

Don't want Windows 8 or 8.1. The main use will be personal, educational and once I graduate pre-professional and professional ability. It will need to be used

Is it worth bying a new battery, HDD and maybe a stick of ram attempting to install it into a laptop and waiting for Windows 10 to RTM, or will it likely be best to buy a new laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:23 AM

I don't think it's worth it no. Sounds like you could spend $200 fixing this old one, or spend $500 to get a computer that is 2x better and new. Right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users