Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloading problem

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

i am currently having difficulty downloading files to my computer. i am running ccleaners, combofix, malwarebytes, and avast antivirus protection. i have a 32 bit windows vista home premium operating system and am using internet explorer 9 browser.  i have made several adjustments in internet explorer, enabling downloading files in different zones with no success. is this an area that this forum deals with? any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

Welcome to BC !

You said...i have made several adjustments in internet explorer.....

Open IE and click on Tools and choose Internet Options. Click on the Security Tab. At the bottom you will see

a button when clicked will reset All Zones To Default Level...click on it. Click OK and reboot IE.

Does that solve the problem?

Did any on your scans find malware? Are there any unusual processes running?

Risky business using Combofix without guidance.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

thank you for the welcome. i am at a loss. i am receiving limited guidance for combofix from an IT guy. i used your suggestion and reset my zones to default.  this did not make any improvements to my situation. by reboot ie is that closing and reopening? my malewarebytes found 2 pups and quarantined them. this also had no effect on my status. i ran this malwarebytes again and it gave me a 'clean bill of health.' thank you for your help.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

Yes, just closing and opening...that's what I understand is all that is necessary. Wouldn't hurt to shut down the computer and start up again.

It would be worthwhile to run some more scans for adware and malware. 

Can you give an example of something you can't download? Are you able to get updates for MBAM and Avast for example?

Do you get any error message when downloads don't start? Have you tried disabling Avast before attempting to download?

What browsers have you used unsuccessfully to download?

Run scans using the programs below.

AdwCleaner Download

Junkware Removal Tool Download

Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scanner from ESET

Windows Repair (All In One) Download

Windows Repair can perform the following tasks:

• Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Register System Files
  • Repair WMI
  • Repair Windows Firewall
  • Repair Internet Explorer
  • Repair MDAC & MS Jet
  • Repair Hosts File
  • Remove Policies Set By Infections
  • Repair Icons
  • Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
  • Remove Temp Files
  • Repair Proxy Settings
  • Unhide Non System Files
  • Repair Windows Updates
  • Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working

Edited by buddy215, 26 November 2014 - 06:18 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

i have attempted to download a cribbage game from cribbagecorner.com.  i have tried various ringtones from zedge.net. (interesting tidbit it updates malwarebytes without error.) when i attempt to run the scans suggested, it first begins to download to about 90% then gives me the errors nameoftheprogram.exe(adwcleaner, jrt, etc) couldn't be downloded with a retry, cancel, or view downloads buttons to choose. these are all in a window or pop up at the bottom of the screen. the cloud scanner says this scanner wants to install the following add-on 'onlinescanner.cab from eset, spol ..... as a pop up at the bottom of the screen with the install button.  when i click the install button it gives me an error box that says to display the webpage again, the web browser needs to resend the information you previously submitted. if you were making a purchse ...then it gives me the buttons to retry, or cancel at the bottom of this window.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:11 AM

Shut down Avast and any other active security program. Attempt to download again.

If that doesn't work then download the programs using another computer, put them on another medium...flash drive, CD, etc.

and then use that to load the programs onto the problem computer.

You can also try booting into safe mode with networking and then attempt to download.

What browsers do you have installed?

#7 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:50 PM

i am currently using internet explorer 9.  i tried safe mode with networking had the same outcome. i also disabled avast with no improvement, also uninstalled avast with no improvement.i will dig up an old flash drive and use my wife's laptop to download scanners.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:29 AM

It would be a good idea to have more than one browser installed. Suggest you download Firefox to the

flash drive and install it on the problem computer. How to download and install Firefox on Windows | Firefox Help

#9 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:40 AM

i have not forgotten about you and my problem. i am having trouble locating an external hard drive and loading theese virus scans. another interesting tidbit is that windows had no difficulty updating yesterday.

#10 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

i have currently used a cd as a flashdrive and loaded all the virus software suggested. i ran the adwcleaner, jrt, tweaking, and firefox. i found my system very slow and sluggish. i then performed a system restore to the earlier date. i reinstalled and ran adwcleaner, jrt, and firefox. durring the execution of jrt it tried to access the registry, and failed seven times. i then used firefox to download with success. i am unable to use internet explorer anymore it tells me the websites security certificate has expired or is not yet valid. i am unable to use netflix using either browser. they says the system date is wrong, although it seems to be correct. after the update of windows on the tenth netflix gave me a silverlight error and failed to download.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

You are a candidate for complete reinstall of Windows. I think that would be the fastest way to resolve all of the issues.

If you decide to do that and have data stored that you have not backed up, consider this as a reminder to do that before

performing the clean reinstall.

As to the clock...that might not get resolved by a clean install if it is a mother board or battery issue. If you haven't right

clicked on the desktop clock and checked both date and time....then do that.

Another way....How to Change the Date and Time on Windows Vista: 5 Steps

#12 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

is there an ugrade you suggest? i have a dell lattitude d630 and am currently running 32 bit windows home premium. i am in possesion of a 64 bit sp1 reintallation disk from a different dell laptop. all i have is product keys and numbers for this version. any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

Is the hdd the original hdd containing the recovery partition? Did the computer originally have Vista or XP?

Using an installation disk from another computer generally will not work without errors if at all. Even though they

are both Dells.

#14 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

i was reviewing our coorespndance and realized i neglected to run eset. it found 68 threats. does this change your prognosis?

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:05 PM

Depends...what did it find?

Perhaps you can do this....

click List Threats

Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users