Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:06 AM

Hi everybody,

I have a Dell XPS Gen5 I am considering upgrading from XP to 7.  I was wondering if someone could review the Windows Advisor report (attached) and tell me your thoughts.  Does it appear as though the install will be non-problematic?  Also, please give me your thoughts regarding 32 vs. 64 bit installation.

If it looks as though there would be no problems, I would like to dump my Raid0 configuration and install a new SSD, as well as add more ram.

Thank you,

George

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2014 - 10:16 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:03 AM

Does Dell provide Windows 7 drivers for the system? If so, you're fine. If not, I suggest you do not upgrade.

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:11 AM

If your computer supports more than 4 gigs of ram then you need 64 bit windows to make use of them. If it doesn't or if you won't have that much ram, I'd still probably choose 64 over 32, because some new software may require it, and I don't know of any downside to having 64 bit. You could download the official windows 7 iso and try it on the machine and see if it has issues or not before deciding to buy.

Edited by bludshot, 27 November 2014 - 10:12 PM.

#4 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:16 AM

When I upgraded my OS from XP Pro, to Win & Pro, I ran the compatibility wizard. It said "no issues". It was an antiquated machine of 7 years or so old, Inspiron 1520. I had pushed the RAM as far as I could, to 4 GB, but only 3.75 GB usable. It is a 32 bit, so that is what I went with, purchasing the OS from TigerDirect. The funny thing was, TigerDirect offered to sell Win 8 for $34. And for Win 7 Pro, the cost was $134. I figuredit was worth the extra $100 to escape the headaches.

As it turns out, since that machine was so old &  probably on borrowed time, with regards to age of the laptop, I stepped up & bought a 64 bit win 7 pro machine; a Toshiba L55 Satellite. I am taking my time switching over. Some of the programs are probably going to cause problems, if I don't use the 64 bit versions. Some programs, is said it doesn't matter?

Anyway, the one problem I sill incur, is Mozilla Firefox crashes, due to a plugin? Don't know if that has to do with a wrong program version or if some other issue.

If you have the option of going with 64 bit, that is what I would go with. It will probably be covered with the compatibility wizard, that you can get from Microsofts, website.

Good luck.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users