Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect an internal HDD to a laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:40 AM

Greetings Bleeping Computer folks, I have a question.

Is it possible to connect an internal HDD to a laptop without actually installing it? Because I'm about to swap the HDD for a SSHD, and the process of transferring old data would be faster that way.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:24 AM

Hi

One way to do that is to obtain an "Enclosure", which is basically a SATA/USB Adapter device.

I bought this one at Amazon.  There are many choices online and you can also buy an Adapter Cable such as this one.

They have various uses, such as when Cloning or Imaging a Laptop PC.

#3 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

Hello,
As @Scoop8 said - external enclosure is indeed a good way to use an internal hard drive as an external one. You can get either a USB connection or SATA connection, or even both on the same device. 

This is also important if you plan to use the device in the future - If you want to be able to plug in different laptop drives at will, then you might want to consider a "drive dock" or "docking station" - this device wil enable you to plug naked drives into it, usually both 2.5" or 3.5" drives. This solution is more suitable if you regularly need to access several bare hard drives externally. 

Weigh both of your options so you can make the most of the product you choose in the future. 

Hope that was helpful, best regards, Citizen_WD

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

Another consideration that should be taken into consideration is if this is going to be used with a laptop you would be better off purchasing a docking station or external case which has its own power supply.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM

Good advice about the Docking Stations.  A friend recently bought this one at Amazon.

About the power supply, good point  since 3.5 HDD's (spinners) require external power.  I bought the one I linked earlier for that reason since I use it more like a SATA/USB Adapter Cable, without the enclosure case.  That way I can connect my spare cloned 2.5 Laptop HDD or my 3.5 Desktop HDD fast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users