Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HDD but want to keep files from old HDD with windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vancer2

Vancer2

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:29 AM

Okay, I am currently in the middle of building a new computer, it has the mobo, ram, HDD, GPU, CD,DVD combo. All it's missing is a PSU Now I'm planning to put windows 8 onto the HDD that is on the new computer, but I want to be able to put the files that are from my windows 7 onto it. A friend told me to just plug the hard drive right into the case and then use windows easy transfer. Will this work? The reason I post this now is the computer Im on right now is suddenly freezing for well speak of the devil I BETTER POST THIS NOW.

Edited by hamluis, 27 November 2014 - 03:05 PM.
Moved from System Building to Win 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

Are you referring to data files?  System files?  O/S files?

Please...be more specific about your intent.

Louis

#3 Vancer2

Vancer2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

My intent is to copy files from the HDD. A friend in the ITT business told me I could just copy my registry over my windows 8 registry, and then use Windows Easy Transfer to copy files from the Old HDD to the new one. Though I kind of laughed at that when I heard him say that. I don't want to have problems with any of my old games like Red Alert 95 and Tiberian Sun. I want to put the physical hard drive that's in the computer that I am currently using and put it into the 2nd hard drive bay. Because this hard drive is almost full (140 GB left) and I don't know the term for non primary HDD's I also plan on installing more HDD's later in the future.

I need a second opinion what do you guys thing is best?

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:23 AM

If it is data files like music, documents, pictures, and video, those can simply be copied over with nothing else.  Program files are more problematic.  Unless you are doing an upgrade install over Windows 7, these will need to be reinstalled.  The registry is something else entirely, I suggest not moving this and allowing Windows to manage it.  In my experience, I've found that in-place upgrade installs can have issues with odd bugs or issues running some software from the previous installation.  Because of this, I usually suggest doing clean installs whenever possible, even with upgrade media.  With clean installs, it does take more time getting everything back to the way it was, but it is a bit cleaner.

3939.png

#5 gameffect

gameffect

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:20 PM

When u reinstall new win on same hard drive they ask you a question if you like to keep your files from win 7 and when you dothat it will be in your hd as window old. when you install win 8 ask you if you want to keep the files from the old o/s . do not delete thefiles that you had win 7when you install an new O/S .Keep your partition from win 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users