Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Files

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 shortyman

shortyman

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:33 PM

I had a problem with a non-genuine copy of Windows XP pro. I bought a genuine cd, re-installed it on my computer, followed all the steps and restarted and it worked perfectly. I figured that i lost all my files which is fine. I started restalling everything and found out that not everything was lost but i cant access it. 2 options: how do i restore all those files or how can i format the disk to delete all these files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:05 PM

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:17 PM

When you reinstalled Windows how did you do it?
Did you format the disk and install or do a repair installation?

How do you know there are files existing?
Where do you see them?

If the files are still on the drive, the following may help you gain access to them:

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;308421

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:30 PM

Don't mess with any of the files!!! More to follow!!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

Sorry for the last post, but there's a good chance that you can get this stuff back!

Can you see the files, but just can't open them? If so, it's probably caused by a combination of the NTFS file system and permissions. When you install a new copy of Windows, even if you use the same name and password, a different SID is assigned to the new account. So, what you've gotta do is to take ownership of the files. Here's a post that I did a while back about how to do this:

This one's a problem that I'm seeing more and more. It's due to the
different security settings on the NTFS file system. There's several ways to
gain the necessary permissions on these files.

1) Use a free NTFS to DOS reader to copy the files to a FAT32 file system.
This will effectively strip the various permissions from the files.
2) Use a Live Linux distro - such as Knoppix - to copy the files elsewhere.
3) Take ownership of the files/folders in question - so that you can
manipulate them as yours. This method works, but it's very quirky at times -
it'll require different tactics on different folders and files.

Here's some articles on how to do it: Thes documents all deal with
permissions, ownership, and access denied errors.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...aring/index.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...B;EN-US;q304040
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;281248
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308418
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;308421

Again, please be aware that the changing of these settings is a bit flakey -
and
may reuire repeated attempts on the folder and sub-folders to get it to work.

Good luck - this can be frustrating!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the help! I was also thinking about upgrading my system such as putting in a new hard drive, adding some more RAM sometime in the near future. Would it be easier to do it now than later? I figured it would be. How hard is it to install a new HDD and add RAM?

#7 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:42 PM

When I go to My Computer folder, you can see the files and programs but u cant open them. I went to add/remove programs to try to remove some of these programs that i no longer needed and there was no programs under add/remove but if u open My Computer u can see the files

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:43 PM

The RAM is easy (but be very, very careful about static discharge!)

The HD depends on if you want to use it as your boot drive (and put your copy of Windows on it) or if you just want it for extra storage. If it's just for extra storage, it's easy also.

Let us know a bit about your system (Make and Model number) so we can steer you in the right direction.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:46 PM

It is relatively simple to install ram - just make sure you match the type and specs of what is already installed.

Things to consider are what processor you have, and if it is a P4 does it have hyperthreading technology. If it does, it has two channels for ram and the ram must be installed to exactly match the ram installed in the other channel.

To install a new hard drive you must determine if you want to do a fresh install of Windows (recommended, especially after having a problem), or migrating your current installation to the new hard drive.

If you want to migrate the current install the hard drive manufacturer provides the software to accomplish that, either with a cd that comes with the new hdd or downloadable from their support site.

By the way, Seagate drives come with a five year warranty - no others do.

#10 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:49 PM

I want to get a whole new HDD and use it as my boot disk.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:52 PM

Are you going to do a complete, fresh installation of Windows XP?

If you do that, after the installation is accomplished you can install your current hdd as a slave and access the files on it.

#12 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:54 PM

It is made by an independent computer guy. Right now i have a 256 mb hd, 2 gb virtual memory

#13 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:56 PM

I dont need to access any of the files on it. I wanna completely get rid of it and upgrade to a lil bigger hd. I thought i knew a lot about computers, but i found out the last couple days that i know nothing. lol.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

256mb ram? or hard drive?

Is the 2gig virtual ram a page file?

Tell us a little about your computer - the processor, motherboard, graphics adapter.

How are you connected to the internet - broadband or dialup?

If you do not know the information about your computer download Everest Home v 1.51 from oldversion.com

You will find it under "utilities".

V1.51 is the last freeware full version of Everest, so choose it over the newer versions which do not have the software module.

http://www.oldversion.com

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 June 2006 - 10:02 PM.

#15 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:14 PM

CPU Type AMD Duron, 800 MHz (8 x 100)

Motherboard Name ECS K7VMM+ (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266

System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)

BIOS Type AMI (01/13/03)

Physical Memory Total 255 MB

Virtual Memory Total 873 MB

i am connected via broadband

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users