Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me pick a laptop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hammer89

Hammer89

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new laptop but I want to make sure I get the right one. I bought a bleepty one for €250 a while ago, used it once and then sold it on because the one I had was far better and faster. 

I don't want to make that mistake again so I'll let you know the specs on my current one, compared to ones that I've been looking at and maybe you can tell me if they're better options.

My Dell:

Processor: Celeron ® Dual-Core CPU T3500 @ 2.10 GHZ 2.09 GHZ
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system

Alternative options:

HP: €660
Processor: Intel i5, Intel Core i5-4210U

Memory: 4GB

Clock Speed (in GHz) 1.7

Hard Drive (GB) 1000

Drive Rotation (in RPM) 5400

Toshiba Satellite: €750

Processor: Intel i5 4th generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U processor with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

Memory 8GB

Clock Speed (in GHz) 1.6

Hard Drive (GB) 1000
Drive Rotation (in RPM) 5400
==========================

I will say that the system I'll be using does need to be fast. It's crucial, both for my job and just general convenience. 

I appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 November 2014 - 09:29 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

I'd go with the Toshiba, the extra 4GB of RAM will more than make up for the .1 Ghz difference in CPU speed.

#3 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

i vote with kilroy... (also, i have an irrational dislike of dells)

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#4 Stryking

Stryking

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:06 PM

Link the laptops... Those are insufficient specs to be able to make a proper judgement.

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:55 PM

Link the laptops... Those are insufficient specs to be able to make a proper judgement.

I agree, more detailed specs are needed.

The HP only has 4GB of ram (for your price range that's low so make sure the machine makes up for that in one of it's other pieces of hardware), and the Toshiba seems to be charging you a steep 90 Euros for an additional 4GB. They both seem on the higher priced end of their hardware level, not to mean it's a jip they are good sound machines, but if you search around a bit you can likely find a similar machine for a little less. For example, with only a few minutes of Googling I found a comparable Dell. I'm not suggesting your buy this machine I've listed below, but...

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-15-5547-laptop/pd?oc=ni15m5mp_bt_h2603e&model_id=inspiron-15-5547-laptop

It has a better CPU (Intel i7-4510, which 2Ghz and turbos to 3.1 Ghz), 8GB of ram, and costs less (currently $749 CAD, which is about 530 Euros).

Anyways, of the machines you've listed the Toshiba is better, but because of the price I'd say go with HP if you feel 4GB is enough ram for your needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users