Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Software vs Just Cloud

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 terrbear

terrbear

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:32 PM

I have been going round and round with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro clashing with Just Cloud. Malwarebytes list them as a PUP. Just Cloud advised me to add them to the exclusion list and they will contact Malwarebytes to take them off their PUP list. I have excluded them and so far so fine. My Hitman Pro has a different theory. They list them as malware and a trojan. Here is part of the email of the conversation we had;

"Thank you for sending the log file.

I expected to receive a log with a PUP, but this is not a PUP.
  This is malware, that you need to remove.
  I am sorry, but I would like to advise to start looking for a different tool".

It also went on with this;

"The detection of this file also showed me that they use your processor to 'mine' bitcoins.
I am sorry that I have to tell you this, but I hope this is helpful for you.

I am usually not giving specific advise to remove an entire tool, but I think you should remove this one".

So my question is who do you believe and what the heck is "mine bitcoins"? 

Edited by terrbear, 25 November 2014 - 06:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

It's a poorly rated application/company and I certainly wouldn't want it on my system.

http://justcloudsucks.net/reviews/

http://www.reviewopedia.com/justcloud-reviews

These are the first 2 user based review results I found, for PC. Both of them have abysmally low ratings. I would more likely regard these as truth than reviews done by a single user for a website. I came across several fakes whilst looking for these user based reviews. They (justcloud) are widely reported as scam artists, I wouldn't put it past a group with this reputation to add malware to their product.

Bitcoin mining malware uses your computers processor power as part of a Bitcoin "mining pool", which is a group of computers working together to create Bitcoin. Bitcoins are generated by creating unique code that identifies, and therefore creates a Bitcoin. This can take quite a bit of electricity to do so it is much cheaper (free) if one just installs silent mining applications on other users computers, then uses their hardware and electricity to create this code. It is blatant theft of resources and electricity via the internet.

I would also uninstall the application, as advised.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:11 PM

In the past, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detected only PUPs that were considered mostly harmful and deceiving but they revised their policy, taking a more aggressive approach to include PUPs that most users found annoying or misleading. PUPs may be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors. This is what Malwarebytes has to say:.
BTW...Just Cloud is a terrible backup service
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 terrbear

terrbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:00 PM

Well, after spending a lot of time reading info online and both of your comments on this, I have decided to cancel my subscription to Just Cloud. Thanks for your feedback. :bowdown:  

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users