Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to remove Zorin and re-install Windows 7.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 softskills

softskills

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

Long story short, last night I deleted Windows 7 from my friend's laptop while installing Zorin 9. He doesn't like Zorin and wants Windows 7 back. Problem is, he doesn't have a recovery disk, he does have the ID installation number. So, how do I remove Zorin and install Windows 7 without the recovery disk, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:22 PM

last night I deleted Windows 7 from my friend's laptop

You did the standard default Linux install? Letting Linux handle the partitioning? The entire HDD has been formatted, There is no Windows recovery partition any more. You will need a install disk.

So, how do I remove Zorin and install Windows 7

Kind of like you got rid of Windows with Zorin.

Just insert a Windows 7 installation disk into the CD drive  reboot the PC and windows will handle the rest. You will need drivers for Windows.

Edited by NickAu1, 25 November 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#3 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

Why did you  pick Zorin? Put Mint 17 on for your friend.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#4 softskills

softskills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:52 PM

last night I deleted Windows 7 from my friend's laptop

You did the standard default Linux install? Letting Linux handle the partitioning? The entire HDD has been formatted, There is no Windows recovery partition any more. You will need a install disk.

So, how do I remove Zorin and install Windows 7

Kind of like you got rid of Windows with Zorin.

Just insert a Windows 7 installation disk into the CD drive  reboot the PC and windows will handle the rest. You will need drivers for Windows.

Yeah, it seems that way, question is, if I go to Microsoft site with the product key, will they let me make a copy cd...I looked up some info and it seems that they let you download without the product key. I'm waiting on my friend to have some free time to come over so we can work on it.

#5 softskills

softskills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:53 PM

Why did you  pick Zorin? Put Mint 17 on for your friend.

I like Zorin, I have had no problems with it.  You think Mint 17 is better, then? Why?

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,429 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:01 PM

Yeah, it seems that way, question is, if I go to Microsoft site with the product key, will they let me make a copy cd...I looked up some info and it seems that they let you download without the product key. I'm waiting on my friend to have some free time to come over so we can work on it.

I do not know,  Also be careful where you get the ISO from, Maybe a Windows user can step in here, OR we could get this moved to Windows 7

section.

I like Zorin, I have had no problems with it.  You think Mint 17 is better, then? Why?

If you wish to discuss this please start a new topic and call it " Why this is better than that" sort of thing. It will avoid spamming this post.

Edited by NickAu1, 25 November 2014 - 10:06 PM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

Before I move this. Lets have the OP decide which way we are going to go. Seems it is not definitive it needs to be moved to a Windows forum just yet.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:17 PM

What type of machine is it? A custom built or a branded machine? (HP, Dell etc) Is there a sticker on the machine with a Windows key? Or did you copy the key from the machine before removing the Win installation?

#9 softskills

softskills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:28 PM

Before I move this. Lets have the OP decide which way we are going to go. Seems it is not definitive it needs to be moved to a Windows forum just yet.

Oh, I'm sticking with Zorin. I was just curious as to why he would recommend Mint 17. But really, the priority for me is, to un-install Zorin and re-install Windows 7. 

#10 softskills

softskills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:29 PM

What type of machine is it? A custom built or a branded machine? (HP, Dell etc) Is there a sticker on the machine with a Windows key? Or did you copy the key from the machine before removing the Win installation?

Is a brand computer...the brand escapes me. It had a Q on the cover. As for the product key, it is on a sticker on the bottom of the comp. 

#11 softskills

softskills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:30 PM

Oh, I also wanted to add, thanks for everyone's responses. I appreciate it. 

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,429 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:33 PM

It had a Q on the cover

Compaq laptop?

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:37 PM

Okay. on the MS product sticker it will say what type of Windows version it is ie: Win 7 Pro 32 bit, you can navigate to this page

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

and download the correct version, then create a DVD with it.

Then you need to look at the manufacturers site and download the specific drivers for that computer. The model number can be found underneath the battery (pretty sure this is a laptop right?)

You will NEED:

• chipset drivers
  • lan drivers
  • wireless drivers
  • graphics drivers

Other drivers and downloads will be listed, but are often not necessary.

Install Windows (delete all existing partitions and let Windows create its own, during the installation process), register using the product key on the sticker, install the drivers starting with the chipset drivers, download and install the 130+ updates since service pack 1 (win update service)...

Job done

#14 softskills

softskills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:38 PM

Okay. on the MS product sticker it will say what type of Windows version it is ie: Win 7 Pro 32 bit, you can navigate to this page

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

and download the correct version, then create a DVD with it.

Then you need to look at the manufacturers site and download the specific drivers for that computer. The model number can be found underneath the battery (pretty sure this is a laptop right?)

You will NEED:

• chipset drivers
  • lan drivers
  • wireless drivers
  • graphics drivers

Other drivers and downloads will be listed, but are often not necessary.

Install Windows (delete all existing partitions and let Windows create its own, during the installation process), register using the product key on the sticker, install the drivers starting with the chipset drivers, download and install the 130+ updates since service pack 1 (win update service)...

Job done

Alright, thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

#15 softskills

softskills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:40 PM

It had a Q on the cover

Compaq laptop?

Yes, you are correct, is a compact laptop. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users