Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you clean junk off new HP laptop?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 trashywoman

trashywoman

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:15 PM

I have a friend who is not real computer savy and she just bought a new HP laptop that seems so slow. I was trying to update it and configure it so it is like her old one. I was wondering if there was a software program you could recommend that would look at all the junk and tell me what to remove. I am not very familiar with Windows 8, I use 7, so it is a little bit of a learning curve for me to find the places I need to go to look for the stuff.

Any suggestions? I saw a program called PC Crapifier online but after dealing with Cryptowall for the last 2 weeks on my PC I am really leary of downloading something I am not familiar with so wanted your expert opinion.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

I saw a program called PC Crapifier online but after dealing with Cryptowall for the last 2 weeks on my PC I am really leary of downloading something I am not familiar with so wanted your expert opinion.

Get it from Bleeping Computer. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/pc-decrapifier/

Edited by NickAu1, 25 November 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#3 trashywoman

trashywoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:23 PM

Thanks! I will try that.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

Along with decrapifier you will want to run some programs to remove adware installed by the manufacturer and

installed by just about every free program you install. Use all 4 of these programs and keep around for later use.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

AdwCleaner Download

Junkware Removal Tool Download

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download (use CCleaners tools to identify and disable unwanted Windows Startups and Tasks

as well as occassionally cleaning the computer using default settings)

Be sure to UNcheck offers of toolbars...especially Google and Yahoo while installing CCleaner

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 trashywoman

trashywoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

Yes to those guys! I will get them installed ASAP when the computer is free again. I am now in the process of getting Windows updates right now. They kept stalling out during shutdown when it was being done automatically and thru wi fi so decided to manually request they be installed. Only on #11 of 23 after about 30 minutes and it is hardwired to the internet right now trying to speed it up but still taking forever.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

Re CCLEANER.

If you decide to use the Registry Cleaner portion of this program, please be sure to use a program like ERUNT to backup your Registry first.  This way if a problems occurs you can always restore the backup.

This article is by quietman7, Global Moderator....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2853053

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 trashywoman

trashywoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

I don't use CCleaner's registry cleaner, I have read the warnings about using it so I just stay away from the registry unless a professional walks me through it. Thanks!

#8 trashywoman

trashywoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:54 PM

I have another question about windows 8.1...hate to start a new topic but will if you tell me to...

Can I disable the request for her to always put in a password to log in to windows? She really hates to do that. There is nothing on computer except her games she plays, facebook and her email. She doesn't use it for anything personal or financial.

#9 Beta Dan

Beta Dan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:02 PM

Download a free TRIAL copy of MalwareBytes on a working computer or laptop. Use a flash disk and copy the installer to the flash disk. Plug the flash disk into the compromised slow PC. It may take a little while to get the flash disk to open and view the files due to malware but once you do drag the installer program for Malware Bytes (19 Megabytes is a fairly small program so don't worry about the size) onto your desktop and run it. The Malware Bytes program will have a scan button. Click that and it will start. The PC will begin working a little faster and you will see Win 8.1 notifications near your taskbar indicating "non-Malware detected". Just ignore those as that is MalwareBytes trying to suppress the repeated attempts by the bad software to interfere with removal. When MalwareBytes is done you will see an "Actions" button. Ignore that and click the QUARANTINE button and there will be an option there to "delete all". Click delete all and then try to do a full scan and MalwareBytes will probably ask you to restart the computer first. Restart and it will resume with a longer scan to remove any other malware or adware that is interfering. If you use Windows Explorer open it and go to tools - manage add-ons and disable anything that looks like it did not come from Microsoft. Then type in a URL like www.amazon.com into your web browser. When that loads up go to tools, Internet Options and select "USE CURRENT" at the top for the home page. While internet options is open select the button labeled TABS and on that screen select Only Open the First Website..... make sure that is checked. If you have the newer SearchBar Trovi popping up as your home page run the free trial version of SpyHunter 4.

Edited by Beta Dan, 25 November 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

I know little about Windows 8 or 8.1. But there is a way to do what you want. I have linked to

a Google search page that has several websites giving info on how.

boot directly into desktop without password in windows 8.1 - Google Search

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)

2. Enter sign, and then tap or click Change sign-in options.

3. Choose the sign-in option you'd like to use, and then follow the instructions.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

Ignore Beta Dan's post....it may even be spam.

#13 trashywoman

trashywoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:13 PM

Beta Dan also sent me a PM with his email address if I needed additional help. Thanks for the warning, Buddy215.

#14 trashywoman

trashywoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)

2. Enter sign, and then tap or click Change sign-in options.

3. Choose the sign-in option you'd like to use, and then follow the instructions.

Condobloke, there is not an option to use no password, just to change or use a 4 digit number WRONG!!! I found it under Password Policy!!! Thanks so much!! :bounce:

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

Interesting !!....

That Information came from....  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-8/disable-remove-password

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users