Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanted, a Handheld Scanner that works.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Balliol

Balliol

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:56 PM

I have spent several hours attempting to get a handheld scanner to run with no success. Can anyone recommend one that does actually work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

If you're looking for just a barcode scanner, I'd recommend ones that I've personally used at libraries and grocery stores, both just simply plugged into usb and didn't need any drivers.

They were

1. Symbol

2. Datalogic

Yes, they are expensive, but they work without hassle. If you're using anything but usb, you're setting yourself up for nothing but heartache. We had a pharmacy with old serial and parallel hardware, it did nothing but lock up, conflict, and just cause greif. Then we got the more expensive usb hardware and we haven't heard a call back from them in over a year compared to once every couple weeks.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#3 Balliol

Balliol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

No. I need a device that I can use to scan the titles of books and small amounts of text.

#4 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

The only thing I can think of are those hand held wand scanners, even then you'd need some type of optical recognition software, like dragon omnipage, but even those softwares are still 50/50 on whether or not it'll convert the image to text. The text usually has to be very generic, no specialized fonts. So, depending on what you need to scan, it almost might be better typing it in by hand.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users