Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore did not complete successfully error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 extremehorror

extremehorror

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:58 AM

Came home to a system update Sunday. That is to say, my computer restarted itself while I was out so I assume it was an automatic update. Now a lot of my programs won't run, such as Acrobat Reader, Izarc, etc, (for instance if I try to open a PDF the icon just flashes for a second and then nothing happens. No error message, but the program doesn't open either). I've restarted a dozen times. And get an error message for every system restore point I try, which says System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed, and then somthing about running a chkdsk/r command. When I did that it got stuck at 10% for hours! So I rebooted and bypassed it by tapping the spacebar (had to watch a youtube video to solve that one).

I am running Windows 8.1 (the touch screen version) on an Asus laptop I just bought 4 months ago. I have Webroot installed for protection. It says it cleaned up an issue but it hasn't fixed the problems. Basically this thing is brand new so I'm not sure why I'm having these issues. Obviously, like most, I use this for work so need some help lest I lose my clients.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremehorror

extremehorror
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:06 AM

Update: I ran a different scan, sfc scan (something like that) and it tells me I have a bunch of registry stuff it "Cannot verify." I will post the log if anyone wants to see it.

I am not good enough at computers to know how to replace those. To make matters worse, all of my system restore points are gone now.  Also, the programs that are working are doing very funny things, such as displaying in the inverse. It dawned on me that on saturday night--the day before this all happened--I cleaned up my iphone but dumping nearly 8 gigs of photos onto the computer. I don't know if this caused the issues, but other than that I didn't do anything new.

Still looking for help. Thanks!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

"I have Webroot installed for protection. It says it cleaned up an issue but it hasn't fixed the problems" Are you saying you were infected with malware? You should start a thread in the "Am I infected Forum" if you think the computer is infected. If not try the following.

At this point you might want to do a Refresh. Before you do this, I would back up any critcal data first even thou Microsoft say all your data is safe. If you updated to 8.1 from 8 through the store then pay special attention to the end of the article I linked to. When doing a refresh any programs installed will need to be reinstalled so make sure you have the serial keys available. Do not do a reset. This will take it back to factory state.

http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-windows-8-pc-refresh-reset/32801/

#4 extremehorror

extremehorror
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

Thanks John,

I just checked the webroot logs and it did find some malware. One called ShopperPro and one called Youtube Accelerator. It quarantined/deleted them.  Although that was 3 days before the computer restarted itself and these problems began. I guess I will move this thread to the virus section. Thanks.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:35 PM

Those two items are not malware. They are what are called PUP's. Potentially Unwanted Programs.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

Open topic in Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/557722/system-restore-did-not-complete-successfullyvirus/#entry3550527 .

To avoid confusion, this topic is closed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users