Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up To Account Requiring Password

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:57 AM

At the local library im helping out, we have the main administrator account and the public account. I use the " netplwiz " or  " control userpasswords2 " to select the public account to auto-login with nothing as the password, so it stops and errors saying the wrong password has been input, this way it starts to that account without starting to the public accounts desktop.

I just want to know if there is any way to start the computer asking for only a certain account without having to make it show that error and just simply show a password box? Its not a big thing and you just click ok and it takes you back to the normal password entry box, however, we'd obviously like to make it a smooth turn on and ask for a password fort he public account.

Also a big note in case it matters, we have reboot restore rx running on these machines (a free program that works similar to windows steady state. You have to be logged in as the administrator when you enable it, so I dont know any other way than the netplwiz to prevent the computer from going back to the state where the admin is the account it wants to ask a password for.), they're not in a domain, and they're windows 8 professional.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 25 November 2014 - 10:05 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

Dude, please explain this better. I can't understand what are you trying to achieve. If I get you right then solution to your pain is editing :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Edited by splico1985, 05 December 2014 - 04:22 PM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users