Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD portable hard drive unable to access

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 darklorz

darklorz

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:53 AM

Hi,

My WD portable hard drive (1TB) did not auto open when i plug it to my computer. Normally, It will auto run and open the hard drive folder.  However, the hard drive was detected under Devices and Drives as Local Disk ( G : ) so i try double click it to open it but it become not responding.

After waiting for a very long time, a window pop out saying that

Location is not available :

G:\ is not accessible.

The parameter is incorrect.

The hard drive was still working fine before i go for my one week holiday. When im back, i try to access my hard drive but to no avail. Please help me and thank in advance.

darklorz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:33 AM

Have you tried attaching the drive to a different USB port or to another computer?

#3 darklorz

darklorz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

I try attaching the drive to different USB port , to another computer and using another cable. But all doesnt work.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,657 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

With the drive attached does it show up in Disk Management? You may have to scroll down a little to see the drive.

#5 darklorz

darklorz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

Its show up like this under the Disk Management:

Disk 2

Unknown

931.48 GB

Not Initialized

Btw, how do i post screenshot here ?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,657 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

I don't think you can attach screenshots to this forum. You have to use a Third party image server and then attach the link.

But, I think your drive has failed and because it's a WD, you cannot simply take it out of the enclosure as WD using a proprietary bridge card or solders the USB port directly to the drive's PCB.

I believe you will need to take it to a professional data recovery service which is expensive. Drivesavers is a good choice.

If the drive was stated as beinging unallocated and RAW then you would have had a good chance of recovery.

One thing to try to verify if the drive is bad. Download Gsmartcontrol. Run it and see if the drive shows up. If it does, do a short test on the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users