Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

intermittent pauses....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mustafa33556

mustafa33556

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

Hey everyone.  So anyway three weeks ago my hard drive started clicking and the pc would freeze. I checked on the windows experience rating on hardware and all hardware got a pass mark of 7.9 . But the hard drive got 5.8.

So i had no choice but to replace the hard drive and re-install windows 7 on a replacement disk. Unfortunately since im broke currently i had three available used hard drives. I had a western digital sata 250gb available. I ran external smart tests on it and it passed. However windows rated wd drive as a 5.8.

So i installed windows and all my programs. Everything is running fine. The the programs are opening quick. But heres the big BUT...

Im a cg artist and use an application called blender. When im working on my projects in this program i get these intermitant freezes, only a few seconds. And also when i go online to use firefox when i load a tab the intermittent pause occurs again.

furthermore, panda security was catching a lot of trojans. i downloaded a program called malwarebytes anti-malware and managed to detect the virus file and delete it. however in firefox when i open a tab im automatically directed to spyhunter antimalware. i dont know if this has anything to do with the main problem.

To summarize. This is the steps i took:

A) installed up to date drivers for mobo and peripherals, i.e graphics card drivers , audio drivers etc

B) uninstalled and re-installed blender and firefox.

C) scanned for malware and trojans via panda antivirus cloud

D) windows 7 spk 1 up to date.

E) windows memory/ ram test

F) scan windows files for errors

G) registry repair scan.

Ive scoured the internet for help and followed guides but to no avail. My hunch at the moment is on the western digital hard drive since the windows rating has analyzed the drive in its data access performance. Furthermore, when the pc pauses it looks as if its trying to access something or process something.

In planning on buying a new sata drive this weekend but i wanna be sure that the problem is the hard drive and not something else. Otherwise ive wasted my money.

Finally heres my specs:

Mobo: sapphire x58 black
Cpu: intel i7 920 @ 2.67mhz
Memory: ddr3 8gb
Graphics card: nvidia geforce 760gtx
Wireless utility: tp-link 150mps wireless network adapter

thanks

Edited by hamluis, 25 November 2014 - 02:06 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:16 AM

Hello Mustafa, welcome to Bleeping Computer!

Off the top, it sounds like you have a load of adware and PUPs loading (Potentially Unwanted Programs). Because you are concerned about your HDD (Hard Disk Drive) run a test on it as follows:

*Download Seatools For DOS (free) from my link; in the site screen click "Seatools For DOS" link, then accept the Eula and download. Burn it to a CD. Reboot with it in your drive. In the screen that appears, first check that SMART has (or has not) been tripped. If Seatools reports that SMART has been tripped that is a bad sign. Next click the upper left corner of the screen for the long test and let it run. It will notify you either Pass or Fail. This is from Seagate Corp. but will test all other drives, not just Seagate.

Next, scan & eliminate adware: Go to this link and download JRT adware removal tool to your desktop (free):
http://thisisudax.org/
Double-click on the icon and allow it to run. Let it remove anything it finds. Be patient, sometimes these take a few minutes on a badly infected machine.
After that,  go to this link and download AdwCleaner and save it to your desktop. Run it also.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/
Post back and let us know; you should have some relief.

[EDIT]:  I just noticed this in your post:

registry repair scan.

I don't know what program you used to scan your registry, but be extremely careful about using these popularly offered "registry cleaners and optimizers" that are offered on so many websites. I have never seen one of these that eventually did not damage the registery, and sometimes the entire operating system. In addition, some contain viruses and rootkits that are extremely difficult (or impossible) to remove. In the majority of instances computer problems do not originate in the registry so it is useless to mess with it. Just a thought...

Edited by ranchhand_, 25 November 2014 - 11:30 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 mustafa33556

mustafa33556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

Thankyou for your response ranchhand_.

Ive followed your instructions and have created snapshots of the results. here are the links to the photos on imageshack:

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/4889/5fY6fF.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img910/9404/WvHgQc.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/2235/bEAS7L.jpg

1) a snapshot of seagate for DOS results screen.

2) a sanpshot results of JRT.txt

3) ADWcleaner results

Unfortunately I'm still experiencing the intermittent pauses in the 3d application. But im wondering if its the file size thats causing this. nevertheless as described before, i was having virus issues and time will tell if theyve been cleared up.

id appreciate it ranchhand_ when you have the time if you could skim through the results and let me know your opinion. particularly the one about smart. thankyou in advance for your help.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

Both your scan reports are very clean, the things removed will not cause what you are experiencing. This is good!  Your Seatools HDD report places your HDD as good, so you can cross a failing HDD off your list. This also is good!

Please enter Explore, Right click the C:\\ root / Properties, and post the size of your HDD and how much space is used and how much is left.

Also, you mentioned that you use a graphics program; many of these have auto-saves that can be enabled and adjusted. Does Blender have an auto-save feature? When I was first learning CorelDraw years ago I was driven bonkers because suddenly everything would freeze for a few seconds and then run normally. I finally discovered that CorelDraw defaulted to an auto-save every 15". I set it to "never" and my freezes stopped.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 mustafa33556

mustafa33556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

thankyou again for your response. well, i have good news and bad news. the good news is the freezes i was getting in the 3d application has stopped. i sort of fiddled with the 3d model and fixed it. blender goes a bit funny when it comes to gigabyte file sizes. nevertheless, your point about the autosave is good advice and i will look into that.

the bad news is despite removing pup's and trojans etc, the adware is still present. meaning when i open a tab in firefox i get automatically redirected to an advert page. I fear that the extent of the damage that this adware or virus is deep rooted. If there is any other software you can suggest id appreciate you let me know. Otherwise i will have to re-install windows again.

on the upside, its good know my hdd is working well, thankyou for that.

I will update you on the HDD info ....

#6 mustafa33556

mustafa33556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

ive posted my hdd partition size info....

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/8301/MDprPJ.jpg

Edited by mustafa33556, 25 November 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

Don't reinstall Windows. There is no need for that if all you have is Adware.

> Go into Control Panel /Remove Programs.  Look for anything you don't recognize or that you did not install on your computer and remove it. Especially look for Spyhunter and if the entry is there, click uninstall. It may or may not uninstall, Spywarehunter has a cloudy reputation.

> If the above does work, enter Explorer, Program Filesx86 and Program Files (if you are running a 64 bit system), look for Spyhunter and physically delete the folders & files. Sometimes Remove Programs leaves leftover files and folders.

> Boot Firefox home screen; at the menu top click Tools /Options /General tab; in the Home Page dialogue box delete the Spyhunter entry there and type in the URL of your desired Home Page OR just browse to your desired page, follow the above path, and click Use Current Page and it will automatically enter it. Close down Firefox, then restart it. If the home page changes to Spyhunter again, you still have it active.

> If the above does not help, try Microsoft:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/i-cannot-uninstall-spy-hunter-no-matter-what-i-try/63291ff0-ef78-4ea8-8c20-12b30495bb08

> If even that does not help, I suggest going to the Malware Removal part of this forum and just post that you have a browser hijacker, and they will take it from there. I have other steps that I take with my clients to remove these pests and they never fail, but I think BC forum requires me to be registered with them as a Malware Remover, and I am not.

In addition:

> If you have any of these "Automatic Register Cleaners/Optimizers" installed, remove them.

> Go Here and download the free version of CCleaner; install it and go with the defaults. Let it remove anything it finds. Do the analyze first, then the clean.

But don't reinstall Windows (unless you really want to go through that again). :) Browser hijackers/Adware are not impossible to remove.

Please let me know how it goes, I learn from my successes and failures.

[EDIT]:  From your posted HDD capacity, you have more that 50% space left, so that's plenty. No problems with full HDD.

Edited by ranchhand_, 25 November 2014 - 11:30 PM.

#8 mustafa33556

mustafa33556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:37 AM

hi ranchhand_....so  basically I did a stupid thing. i had this spyware program on a cd utility called hbcd. it detected a supposed trojan in the nvidia update folder. being a dumb idiot by not doing an immediate backup i deleted the so called trojan.

when i rebooted, i got the windows welcome screen and then......black screen. thats it!.

i knew i screwed up so after several attempts i booted into paragon usb recovery disk and transferred my important files to an extrnal media.

then i used windows 7 repair disc and re-installed an image file i created of my c: drive. the image was created two days ago so it wasnt so bad. offcourse the malware virus was still appearing in the firefox tabs. so i decided to try various anti-malware programs. i downloaded combofix from bleeping computers. here is the result of the scan:

http://imageshack.com/a/img901/7831/Cxq2Yk.jpg

i dont want to get too excited...but i think its found the culprit!. because when i was using malware anti malware, pop-up notifications kept telling me an external domain was trying to access the pc and the location was always explorer.exe.

ill use my pc today and let you know if the problem arises again. thanks

#9 mustafa33556

mustafa33556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:14 PM

im pleased to say the malware has gone away thanks to a scan from combofix. i just wanna thankyou ranchhand_ for all your help, really appreciate it. This is a fantastic website and very trustworthy. Ill be coming here the next time if i get stuck again. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users