Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mind Mapping Software - SourceForge

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

I am looking for some basic mind-mapping software for personal use.  There are plenty of professional versions for big bucks and some freebies.  I don't mind paying for it but not with a wad of twenties.  I am not nterested in cloud software.

I found one that looks really good but the problem is it is on the SOURCEFORGE site.  Last week I tried to download Filezilla from Sourceforge and got some nasty browser-swipping crap called Vosoran.  I (think) I got it off my computer but I don't want to go through that again.  I am basically suspicious of free stuff.  In any event, the program I had in mind is called Freeplane.  The funny thing is when I went to the home page, I wasn't able to access other TABS I had open.  I had to close the tab as the only way to leave the page. 

Anybody know any decent but relatively cheap mind mapping software? 

What's up with Sourceforge?  After I had problems with downloading Filezilla (I deleted the installation file) I found some discussions about a new owner at Sourceforge who is bundling bad junk in the downloads.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:49 PM

Nobody doing mind-mapping?

#3 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:05 AM

Anything is of course possible, but I seriously doubt you got infected through Sourceforge.  It is  well-known and respected site for open source software.

Have you tried a web search?  A simple search for "mind mapping software" returns many possibilities.

Edited by md2lgyk, 03 December 2014 - 06:07 AM.

#4 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:43 AM

You might want to update your knowledge of sourceforge:

Read This 1

Read This 2

This one is a warning from the Filezilla forum:

Read This 3

If you want to read more, just do a search for sourceforge +malware.

Yes, I have done hours of research on this and got nowhere.  That's why I posted this.  Some of the promising programs were only available from sourceforge and after spending three days of removing their browser hijack software (thanks to the very informative people here at BC), I won't go back there.  Others were available from cnet and they have bundling crap in their downloads, too.  And a third program (slips my mind now) offered a program that also looked like what I wanted but when I researched the site, I found reports of bundled malware.  I am not opposed to paying for the software, but $100+ is way too much for my budget considering what I intend to do with it...very casual use.

#5 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:23 AM

Wow, I did not know anything about this issue.  Thanks for the links.  Don't use SF much; now probably won't use it at all.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users