Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Where's My Desktop?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_becker714td_*

Guest_becker714td_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:26 PM

i got home today and my sister said she accidently did something to the computer..now all of our desktop icons are gone, i cant create new shortcuts or right click, and we have a desktop toolbar now. can someone please help me get things to the way they were.

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:56 PM

Hi there becker and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Let's start off by trying an automatica fix to try and restore the destop. This .vbs script will "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar". Please download the script from the link below and save it to a folder like your C:\ drive. Double click it and let the script run. Then reboot your computer and let me know if there is any change:
Download Link

David

#3 Guest_becker714td_*

Guest_becker714td_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

no nothing changed

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:16 PM

It is likely that the Show Desktop Icons feature is turned off.
To turn on the Show Desktop Icons feature:

1. Right-click on the desktop.
2. Hover over Arrange Icons By.
3. Press Show Desktop Icons.

NOTE: The Show Desktop Icons feature is turned on during a clean install. Only the Recycle Bin icon is shown. To add the My Computer, My Network Places, Internet Explorer, and/or My Documents icons to your desktop:

1. Right-click on the desktop and press Properties.
2. Select the Desktop tab.
3. Press Customize Desktop.
4. Check the boxes for the icons you want.
5. Press OK.
6. If the Apply button is available, press it.
7. Press OK.

Then reboot your computer and let me know if the icons return.
David

#5 Guest_becker714td_*

Guest_becker714td_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

i cant right click, it doesnt bring up the menu box....but if i double right click it will open up internet explorer

#6 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

Try this please, right click the desktop, click Arrange Icons By, click Show Desktop Icons. Does this bring back your Icons?

Posted Image
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#7 Guest_becker714td_*

Guest_becker714td_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:21 PM

Try this please, right click the desktop, click Arrange Icons By, click Show Desktop Icons. Does this bring back your Icons?

Posted Image

can i get to that menu without right clicking

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

Click on the start button, then click "run"

Type msconfig in the box and press enter.

Click on the box that says "Launch System Restore"

Pick a restore point from before this problem began.

Follow the instructions on screen.

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 June 2006 - 09:25 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

From the picture it looks like your Desktop has been moved to a Desktop toolbar. Is that correct?

If so, an easy fix would be to drag the stuff off of the toolbar onto your Desktop. Then, right click on the TaskBar, select Toolbars, and uncheck the one for Desktop.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:34 PM

This screenshot might help

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#11 Guest_becker714td_*

Guest_becker714td_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:15 PM

Click on the start button, then click "run"

Type msconfig in the box and press enter.

Click on the box that says "Launch System Restore"

Pick a restore point from before this problem began.

Follow the instructions on screen.

the system restore doesn't seem to be working...i click next then the hour-glass pops up for about a minute and then it just sits there..nothing happens....do i have to restart the computer myself?

#12 Guest_becker714td_*

Guest_becker714td_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:46 PM

ok i got it to work, bear and D-Trojanator were right...except i couldnt right click on my desktop..so i went to "Run..." and typed "regedit" to bring up the rgistry. then i went to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Explorer\CabinetState

and then i deleted the settings binary...this made it so i could right click on my desktop, after that all i had to do was click show desktop icons, thanks for the help.

#13 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

No problem at all - good perception to enter the registry to fix that entry. One word of advice, if you ever have to edit the registry, try and remember to back it up first - if something goes wrong you can't turn back if yo haven't backed up.
You can read how to backup the registry if you need it again:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

David

#14 Guest_becker714td_*

Guest_becker714td_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:51 PM

ok, good idea thanks

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:37 PM

Since the original poster has submitted a HJT Log Here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/55914/i-cant-get-rid-of-certain-spyware/

I am closing this topic to prevent confusion and multiple, possibly conflicting responses. If upon completion of the HJT analysis the original person who posted wants this thread reopened, please contact myself or any staff member via PM. Thank You for your understanding.

Be (One Thing At A Time) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users