Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Distro Is Right... Survey Unpin?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:22 AM

No

This should be the only Post that contains other than “Yes” or “No” - it makes it eminently easy for me to gather empirical results this way.

So please – Vote Yes or vote No

But we want to know the reasons for your vote, as well, so Comments and reasons should be directed to the following Topic:

Which Distro Is Right... Survey Comments and Reasons

Thank you

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - for the benefit of members and Admin, I will be taking responses from now until 31 January, to cater to the Holiday Period. I will report on results (or count 'em yourself, lol) shortly after, then ask for the Topics to be closed.

Edited - added BTW

Edited - typo (sticky keyboard)

Edited by wizardfromoz, 25 November 2014 - 01:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:44 AM

yes

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,689 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:41 AM

To quote Animal

This topic will stay until a replacement is created. Open to suggestions. I will not unpin it until a replacement is created. Because if I do, nothing will fill the void. It will remain as a reminder to find suitable material to replace it.

But it is now closed.

Ball now in your court people.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/41001/which-distro-is-right-for-me/page-27

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:01 AM

Nick, would you please "fillet" the above two (2) posts, ie empty them, it will make it easier to tabulate results. Thanks.

I am in compliance with everything Animal has said, if you look at his words in the right perspective. The ball is in our court, hence this survey.

You are welcome to express your reservations over here, but please be succinct. Again, makes for easier tabulation

Should I take it you are a Yes? Thanks, Nick.

Thanks bmike1 - so that is a Yes and a No, likely Yes from Nick, perhaps.

Please keep voting, folks - just Yes or No

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW I will edit the above once Nick has edited. Thanks Nick - nothing personal

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:29 AM

Yes, I vote to unpin it. I've always thought that the quiz is biased towards OpenSuse.

But as has been said, something needs to be created to take its place before it gets unpinned. How about a thread where we can suggest things that we think beginners should consider when choosing "which distro is right" for them? Can we use either this thread for that purpose, or your "comments and suggestions" thread, to save creating yet another thread relating to the sticky?

That way our collective knowledge could be used to create a new sticky thread OP, rather than it being just one person's opinion.

Edited by Al1000, 25 November 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:35 PM

No

This should be the only Post that contains other than “Yes” or “No” - it makes it eminently easy for me to gather empirical results this way.

So please – Vote Yes or vote No

But we want to know the reasons for your vote, as well, so Comments and reasons should be directed to the following Topic:

Which Distro Is Right... Survey Comments and Reasons

That topic has been closed. It's considered a duplicate of this one since they both concern the same thing.

A staff member has already stated the topic will eventually be unpinned.
I will not repeat that since NickAu has already posted it.
No time table of that as of now. It does not matter how many people say NO don't unpin it, it WILL happen.

I want to remind everyone of this in the  Bleeping Computer rules:

When posting you agree that the administrators and the moderators of this forum has the right to modify, delete, edit or close any topic, signature, account, or profile data at any time that they see fit. If you have any questions concerning this, please do not start a new thread, but rather private message to an administrator or moderator.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

This topic amounts to questioning/arguing/debating a decision made by a staff member (for something that has not happened yet) and is now closed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 November 2014 - 07:59 PM.
edited to correct a typo

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

I know this topic is closed and it will remain closed. I do feel the need to add this for further clarification.

If you are going to take yes or no votes at least use the proper forum technique and create a topic that includes a poll.

And wizardfromoz, if I may. What we do with forum content is up to us. Sure you're more than welcome to create a topic and poll all you want. The final decision is up to the staff. We will potentially consider the results of member polls. But the decision is ultimately ours. The staff is the one who has to manage the forum not the members.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users