Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCs running Avast anti-virus left bricked after new Windows update

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

PCs running Avast anti-virus left bricked after new Windows update

Hordes of users using Avast Anti Virus software have found that their PCs, especially those running Windows 8 and 8.1, grind to a halt after they applied both Microsofts recent KB3000850 update and Avasts latest automatic updates...Avast has been hard at work trying to figure out why the combinations of a recent update of Windows & Avasts own update was causing machines running their software to break down completely.

An update in the above Techworm article refers to this avast topic...Lastest Windows Update Problems which indicates member pk has advised a patch has been released.

pk on November 20, 2014, 09:13:37 PM

We have been able to simulate the problem in our lab and I think we fixed this issue. This Windows updates calls new memory related functions which are not fully compatible with avast. We'll prepare EmUpdate with the patched driver tomorrow morning (it means, all & new avast installations should be patched immediately, that's how it works).

Thanks to NickAu1 and the MVP [mvpsectalk] channel for the heads up.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:16 AM

Glad that I removed Avast from my 8.1 Pro install when Grinler posted the 6 month BitDefender promo.  :)

If not, mine may have been a casualty also. That was also the last Avast install I had, the reasoning beyond the scope of this Topic. 

Thanks for the creation of this Topic. :thumbup2: Avast is still, despite starting to earn a bad reputation in some respects, quite popular with many & a top Free choice. Consumers needs to be aware of these things, and if it weren't for these forums, many would be clueless until it's too late. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:34 AM

The avast topic is now 20 pages long. The last entry this morning by lukor, avast team (Post # 297} provides this additional info...

As you know, we have released a micro Update patching avast9 and avast10 (aka avast 2015) installations. For these versions we believe the problem should be gone now, and you are safe to install KB3000850.

We are also working on a fix for older versions, however since we have implemented the micro updating mechanism only in avast version 9 and 10, we couldn't use the same pathes. For avast8 there is also an option how to deliver the update (emergency Update), but that requires more work and testing.

As far as I know, the update is already ready and is now in the QA labs for testings. As soon as it'll be verified, which should be soon, hopefully today, it'll also be released for both Avast8 Consumer and Avast8 Business editions.

Sorry for this, I know this has caused a lot of troubles for many of you. Even though we do test windows updates regulary and automatically, this scenario - shutting down the PC and restarting was not sufficiently covered.

Microsoft Community forums also has a topic: Major issues with KB3000850

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:58 PM

Another warning about why not to rush to update windows, except for the updates labelled as being security ones. Best to wait a LITTLE while before letting windows update. Glad i've stuck with AVG. By the way when we say "bricked" do we mean totally ruined and unrepairable, right down the hardware lvel, or do we mean unable to boot but fixable with system repair discs, system image USB drives, reinstalls and safe mode.

Edited by rp88, 25 November 2014 - 02:03 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

All scanning tools are susceptible to glitches, bugs, database issues and false positive detections from time to time which may remove critical system files resulting in unbootable computers or machines stuck in an endless reboot loop. Even major anti-virus vendors are not immune to such issues. In most cases when these issues occur, the anti-virus vendors and security tool developers take quick action to correct the problem and provide support to those users who have been affected.

AVG is not immune...

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:40 PM

Yes, there was the infamous McAfee update that left hundreds of thousands of mostly business computers crippled, and as a result of, many still doesn't trust the brand. 

I recall it happening, and we were discussing the issue on a Windows 7 forum, but time must be flying, didn't realize it was in 2010. This hasn't been forgotten, and though many Dell systems ships with a 1 year subscription to the full McAfee suite, it's often among the first items removed from new computers. Trust is earned, and hard to rebuild after such major disasters that affected not only the many businesses with the brand installed, but lets not forget, these businesses had millions of customers, and there were disruptions of service at many. Time may heal wounds, but it's going to take a lot longer than 4 years to bury that breach. 

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2517412/security0/flawed-mcafee-update-paralyzes-corporate-pcs.html

In more recent times, the popular anti-malware software, Malwarebytes, had their troubles with a botched update that affected thousands of users last year. 

http://www.dailytech.com/Botched+Malwarebytes+Security+Update+Cripples+Thousands+of+Computers/article30380.htm

Fortunately, I wasn't online when this took place, or was on a Linux MInt install, and had I not been looking up the McAfee incident, would have never known it. I credit the folks at Malwarebytes.org for not letting a repeat of that 2010 incident happen, by quick response they not only stopped the update & further bleeding, also the good name of their organization remained intact. 

Events such as these can happen to any security corporation, as their task is not always an easy one, doing all they can to keep online criminals in check, plus guard their customers from other threats, it's a delicate balancing act to keep everything going smooth. It plays a part in why mistakes are made, the difference being, how security firms deals with the aftermath. Finding & solving the issue with minutes reduces collateral damage, waiting for hours causes widespread damage & a sure fire immediate brand tarnishment. 

To put things in simple terms, Norton has never fully recovered from various incidents from over a dozen years ago. Meaning that McAfee's recovery has never really began or in it's infancy, at least consumers can clearly relate the brand with a still not distant major breach. 

Time will tell for Avast, as the folks there are also dealing with other issues, too many to cover in this Topic (& not related to the issue), these has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. While being at or near the top certainly has it's advantages, the one thing that cannot be avoided is corporation scrutiny. 

The competition.....and consumers, are watching, 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:44 AM

And lets not leave out Bitdefender and Kaspersky.

Bad BitDefender update clobbers Windows PCs
Kaspersky update cripples thousands of PCs

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:54 AM

By the way when we say "bricked" do we mean totally ruined and unrepairable, right down the hardware lvel, or do we mean unable to boot but fixable with system repair discs, system image USB drives, reinstalls and safe mode.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:00 PM

No antivirus company is perfect. Kaspersky, McAfee, Malwarebytes, and now, Avast. I do think ESET will let it slip, and so will Emsisoft, the new player. I do hope they will not cause a major destruction, although.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:13 PM

By the way when we say "bricked" do we mean totally ruined and unrepairable, right down the hardware lvel, or do we mean unable to boot but fixable with system repair discs, system image USB drives, reinstalls and safe mode.

All links I have provided explain specifically what the anti-virus update did to cause havoc on the OS...none affect hardware componets.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:49 PM

NullPointerException, how could I not have forgotten Kaspersky's meltdown last year, after two seasons at the #1 rank by AV-Comparatives? It was installed on one of my OS's and a major update caused issues, it was recommended to disable HIPS of all things, to keep it going. 

Then their Customer Service tells me to try it on another computer & things worsened. After three months, I parted ways with the brand. 

If there's a bright spot in this, the year subscription was a "gift" for purchasing the XPS 8700 that I'm now on. The McAfee suite was the first item to be removed from the PC & it was replaced with Emsisoft Anti Malware (AV+AM in one), along with Malwarebytes Premium & SuperAntiSpyware Pro (both Lifetime & transferred from my old PC) to keep things in check. 

Haven't had any security issues with this machine & intend on keeping it that way. 

ESET NOD32 & Smart Security has performed decently on the machines that I've had it installed on since 2010, and was my 1st paid AV. Only issue is upgrading from prior versions. Their cleaning tool has to be used to purge the old before the upgrade in many instances, and most certainly when switching from one or the other, even if another brand was on the machine in between subscriptions. Otherwise, the new installer will rollback all actions. However once learned, many ESET consumers keeps their latest uninstall tool on hand. 

Emsisoft is a rising star in the North American market, and their successes to date cannot be ignored. This makes my 3rd year as a subscriber to the brand, has been a positive experience for me, regardless of the OS it's installed on. 

Cat

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:36 AM

In all the years I have been using ESET, I have been fortunate...and have yet had to resort to using the ESET Uninstaller Tool.

#13 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:11 PM

NullPointerException, how could I not have forgotten Kaspersky's meltdown last year, after two seasons at the #1 rank by AV-Comparatives? It was installed on one of my OS's and a major update caused issues, it was recommended to disable HIPS of all things, to keep it going. 

Then their Customer Service tells me to try it on another computer & things worsened. After three months, I parted ways with the brand. 

If there's a bright spot in this, the year subscription was a "gift" for purchasing the XPS 8700 that I'm now on. The McAfee suite was the first item to be removed from the PC & it was replaced with Emsisoft Anti Malware (AV+AM in one), along with Malwarebytes Premium & SuperAntiSpyware Pro (both Lifetime & transferred from my old PC) to keep things in check. 

Haven't had any security issues with this machine & intend on keeping it that way. 

ESET NOD32 & Smart Security has performed decently on the machines that I've had it installed on since 2010, and was my 1st paid AV. Only issue is upgrading from prior versions. Their cleaning tool has to be used to purge the old before the upgrade in many instances, and most certainly when switching from one or the other, even if another brand was on the machine in between subscriptions. Otherwise, the new installer will rollback all actions. However once learned, many ESET consumers keeps their latest uninstall tool on hand. 

Emsisoft is a rising star in the North American market, and their successes to date cannot be ignored. This makes my 3rd year as a subscriber to the brand, has been a positive experience for me, regardless of the OS it's installed on. 

Cat

I, too, use ESS. Kaspersky's meltdown was a very big disappointment. It's a shame how bugs in AV software can damage your system more than malware. Emsisoft has an excellent detection rate, BB and other very good stuff, but it's rather new (Was its company founded in 2003?) and I shouldn't use it until 2019 (Although it's currently installed, but disabled in my PC) and fully trust it.  

I never use ESET Uninstaller. At least with ESET 7.0, we can upgrade our software directly with the AV UI.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:53 AM

Emsisoft also has an Emergency Kit, which can be found on our forum. No resource usage unless being ran, so it can be installed and left. Excellent tool to have. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-emergency-kit/

To make it more clear about my ESET upgrade issues, it's usually when switching between NOD32 and Smart Security that the cleanup tool needs to be used. At present, am running NOD32 Version 8, along with Online Armor as a Firewall software, plus what my router offers. I catch these deals at Newegg, usually 3 PC's for $19.99 or so, and I keep one or the other on hand at all times. Even if they're well outdated (2-3 years old), all I need to do is download the current version, and the key in the box will activate it, w/out the hassles of installing an old version & still have to upgrade. I'm now settled on my security plan for each OS, and shouldn't have anymore issues going forward.

I was using ESS only after the first year with NOD32, but I also keep my mother-in-law protected with one of my keys, and ESS is just too much for her system. So I use NOD32 on 2 of my lesser important systems, ESS on some others, and Emsisoft Anti Malware on the most important ones. They all perform well. Going from version 7 to 8 went good on one of my NOD32 installs, the other was a clean one to a new OS. 

There was a recent Bitdefender promo on the forum (a 6 month freebie) that I use on one seldom used 8.1 install, and it's good security also, and it's scan engine happens to be one of two of those with Emsisoft Anti Malware. EAM will run on most any computer, even older XP ones w/out bogging down the system. 

Except for the Kaspersky incident, I can't really recall any security option, paid or free, that has given me troubles. Fortunately, I uninstalled Avast before anything happened. 

(Was its company founded in 2003?)

Yes it was, by Christian Mairoll. They have some really great tips that ships every week to your email if you subscribe to their blog, and I've bookmarked all. Here's a little bit of history about Emsisoft. I was introduced to the brand by a European member of a XP forum sometime around 2008, a few months before Windows 7's betas were released. Back then, they had a truly Free version of a-Squared. 

http://www.cyberdefensemagazine.com/emsisoft-receives-editors-choice-award-for-2013/

The Emsisoft team has came a long way since I first used the brand, well past most anyone's predictions. It wouldn't surprise me to see them capturing the top crown at AV-Comparatives in the very near future, they're that close, winning test after test. That type of performance & protection with few false positives will only serve to continue to boost the brand to newer highs. 

And yet they accomplish all that & provides A-1 personal customer service with the fewest staff of any well known security brand. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 28 November 2014 - 12:55 AM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:06 AM

EAM also "plays nice" when running alongside other anti-virus software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users