Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't start (Windows 7 op system)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Xeiconfinsha

Xeiconfinsha

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:32 PM

Hey guys, kinda new here, hopefully I'm posting this in the right forum section.

I'm not that super oriented with computers, I'll give it my best shot to explain what's going on here.

In short my PC just won't start. The light turns on, it boots up, and then I get a black screen with text referring to either "Start Up Repair (recommended)"

or

"Start windows normally"

If I choose start windows normally, it brings me to the black booting screen with the windows flag, then it proceeds to go back and restart the system, going back to the black screen.

This also occurs if I press F8 and go into safe mode. After listing all the components before going into safe mode, it simply restarts itself and goes right back to the black screen of the two choices.

If I select Start up repair, a grey loading bar appears below that on occasion freezes. If I manually reset the computer try it again, I get to a blue windows default background screen and the message

"Startup Repair
Your computer was unable to start

Startup repair is checking your system  for problems...

If problems are found, Startup Repair will fix them automatically. Your computer might restart several times during this process.

No changes will be made to your personal files or information. This might take several minutes.

Searching for problems.. (this is beneath a blue bar that has been going on for at least an hour)

There's also a Dos window that reads

X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

Anyone have any idea of what I have to do? A friend of mine thinks I may have to reinstall the operating system, or get a new hard drive entirely.

My issue though is how would I take all of my things out of the hard drive,  before  installing a new OS/adding a new Hard drive.

thanks for the help

I have a custom built PC, with windows 7 Operating system. I believe it has a one terabyte hard drive, 6-8 gigs of ram. I lost the paper I had that had it's specs, and because I can't

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:30 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

You seem to have two problems - the first being an entirely proper wish to save your data before doing anything drastic, the second a desire to get this computer running again. Do you have access to another computer, even if it means borrowing a little time on a friend's ? You need to download and create 2 CDs.

Taking the data first. One of the simplest ways to do this is to use a self-booting CD like Puppy Linux. You can get it and instructions on how to use it from here -

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Once you have the CD, power up your computer - don't worry about the black screen - open the CD/DVD drive, put the disc in and re-boot. The computer will now boot from the CD. If it is going to do this you will get a message 'Press any key to boot from CD' - just press any key on the keyboard. If nothing happens and you don't get this message then you will need to re-boot and go into the BIOS to change the boot priority rankings.

The most common ways of doing this are to press either 'Delete' or 'F2' while the mobo maker's screen is showing as soon as you switch on. Some manufacturer's use a different key, but you will see it on their screen at boot. Look for 'BIOS' or 'Set up' on that same initial screen. This will bring up the BIOS screen where you will need to use the up and down arrows to navigate. Look along the bar at the top and you should see something like 'Boot' or 'Boot priority'. Move to this, and press 'Enter' which will open the sub-screen where you will see an option to change the sequence of devices the BIOS looks at to start the computer. Select the optical drive and move it to #1 in the list. Prees 'Escape' and choose 'Save changes and Exit'. Your computer will now re-boot, this time from the CD.

Puppy runs entirely in memory, it itself doesn't touch the hard drive. When it has booted you will have a slightly odd looking - from a Windows user's point of view - desktop, but you will see icons for your hard drive(s) and a file manager among others.

You need to 'mount' your drive(s) (a Linux term) before you can read them. It's a little while since I have had to do this so it is either a click or a right click on the drive icon then select mount. Once you have mounted the drive(s) you can copy the data off them, using the file manager, to the external data store of your choice. If you are using an external drive this will need to be mounted as well.

OK. First part done - your data is safe !

The second CD you will need is a Windows 7 Repair Disc, you will find instructions on how to make one in this BC tutorial -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/

These discs come in two flavours - 32 and 64 bit - and you need the correct one. The wrong one will  not do any harm, it just will not run !  Since you say you have 6-8 Gb of RAM you are almost certainly running 64 bit Win 7. Once you have this disc get it into the computer the same way you did the Puppy disc - power up, open drawer, insert disc, re-boot and it will boot from the CD. You may be asked to pick your language and keyboard as it starts then click 'Repair'. Let it run.

It may or may not repair at the first pass, it is worth trying this up to three times, then, if necessary, choose 'Advanced options' and do a 'System recovery'. You will get some warnings about this being non-reversible, accept them and let it do its thing. At the end of this process you should have a working computer again and your data and applications should not be affected - but that is why you backed up your data first.

If this procedure does NOT solve your problem, post back and tell us at what stage it failed.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:30 PM

Hi Chris can I jump in here with a few words also?

:welcome:
Xeiconfinsha

Use this ISO its the latest puppy. Just click the link and save the file.
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso

Thank you  dc3,  for this tutorial and images on....
How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.  

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

This is not the same version of puppy as in the link I gave you however the basics are the same. 

In the clip he boots from USB you will boot from CD.
http://youtu.be/8ZLbpxXNCR4

Edited by NickAu1, 26 November 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#4 Xeiconfinsha

Xeiconfinsha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:54 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the help!
I'm on it and i'm slowly putting data onto my external hard drive.

I have to say it does take a while. A 3 gigs of memory can take up to 9 hours. I just leave my PC on and go out or go to bed

occasionally I get "error copying a certain data file"

where I have to either select "Try again" or "Skip" or "Cancel"

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

No problem. The first thing is to save your data. Once you have done that you can worry about repairing the computer. I have to say I am surprised at your 9 hour estimate, 3 Gb of data shouldn't take anything like that.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Xeiconfinsha

Xeiconfinsha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:17 PM

I don't know why either!

Could it be because the hard drive i'm trying to transfer data off of, is dying?

#7 Xeiconfinsha

Xeiconfinsha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

Alright, ran into a brand new problem. During file transferring the PC will not boot AS LONG as the busted hard drive is in.

it will boot up and start a disk check, which freezes, whether I choose to skip it or not

So using puppy Linux I also am unable to boot to it

The last thing I recall seeing is text saying "Checking drives"

Followed by a green text at the top right corner saying "done"

after that the screen goes black.. My monitor is still active , but the screen is pitch black.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

Please...disconnect the drive which you believe problematic...see if problems continue.  At times, a bad hard drive will prevent Windows from booting or functioning properly.  Let us know your results.

Louis

#9 Xeiconfinsha

Xeiconfinsha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hey Louis

Yep, when the drive is DISCONNECTED/DISABLED, I can in fact work the PC using either Puppy linux or my older hard drive

It seems that this HD just won't re-activate.

I still had some data I'm trying to pry out of there.

Edited by Xeiconfinsha, 28 November 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,688 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

So using puppy Linux I also am unable to boot to it

As long as the PC is set to boot from CD Pyppy Linux will boot regardless of the state of the hard drive.

I still had some data I'm trying to pry out of there.

If the drive is dead even puppy wont work

Edited by NickAu1, 28 November 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#11 Xeiconfinsha

Xeiconfinsha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

that.. may unfortunately be the case.. The drive is in fact still detectable in BIOS, but when I boot it up form puppy linux     it stops after the "Checking drives"  and a green colored text saying "done"

Then the screen goes pitch black

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#12 Xeiconfinsha

Xeiconfinsha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

If there was someway I can past the checking file chckntfs screen I wonder if it could bypass it.

#13 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 952 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

If there was someway I can past the checking file chckntfs screen I wonder if it could bypass it.

Try everything as posted by others , but Slave the faulty drive to a working Pc via Usb.

You may still get the drive halting , and choice of to skip a file , depending how bad the drive is / then you can also try chkdsk fix and repair again.

I use an old Knoppix Program to boot from to save files , and can take 2 - 3 goes at to get all data back , but even 80% is better than none.

#14 Xeiconfinsha

Xeiconfinsha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:52 PM

Try everything as posted by others , but Slave the faulty drive to a working Pc via Usb.

You may still get the drive halting , and choice of to skip a file , depending how bad the drive is / then you can also try chkdsk fix and repair again.

I use an old Knoppix Program to boot from to save files , and can take 2 - 3 goes at to get all data back , but even 80% is better than none.

Been doing everything they said. But linuxpuppy will not boot. It just goes black after a wile

though how do I slave my faulty hard drive to a USB?

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,688 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:55 AM

it stops after the "Checking drives"  and a green colored text saying "done"

Ok

When you burned the Puppy Linux ISO, Where did you burn it too? CD? or USB?

Sorry Guys bear with me If we can figure out why Puppy cant boot now we may be able to solve this. As you know puppy boots into ram no HDD needed,  if the PC is set to boot from CD, And the Motherboard ram and optical drive work  and the CD is not damaged, then puppy should boot like it did earlier.

What has changed since post # 4

I'm on it and i'm slowly putting data onto my external hard drive.

I have to say I am surprised at your 9 hour estimate, 3 Gb of data shouldn't take anything like that.

I just saw this. And I agree even with a usb 1 port it shouldn't take that long.

Edited by NickAu1, 29 November 2014 - 01:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users