Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected, formatted PC but still not seeing all my external HDDs files

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mosh Barbolocas

Mosh Barbolocas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:36 PM

Hello to everybody; I am new to this forum and regrettably I must make my first post about an infection. I had never had a virus for almost 15 straight years but = (

My brother inserted an infected (or so I suppose) USB stick and shortly afterwards my PC was showing problems:

• lots of shortcuts were shown inside my external HDDs instead of the original files
  • the previous names of all my HDDs (internal and external) were lost and I could only see their default names
  • even though the free spaces in the external HDDs were correctly shown in Explorer, I couldn't see many of my files. Files and folders in C:/ were left untouched.
  • lots of error messages like "chrome.exe needs to be updated" or so were popping up
  • Chrome tabs apparently loaded slower than before.

I was aided remotely by an acquaintance. He directed me to some short .bat file which, he said, I should execute. I executed the file from inside every external disk. The .bat file deleted all the shortcuts but nevertheless I could not see all my folders back. At least the error messages were not showing up anymore. I then resorted to using a restoration point, which also did not fix the main problem. Afterwards, I resorted to performing a Windows 7 (32-bit) fresh install. But alas, I still cannot see all of my folders. And the names of my hard disks are still shown as default and I cannot change them.

I was using AVG antivirus and I am quite frustrated that it didn't warn me about this virus.

Any suggestions? I am still not desperate... but I am already on the brink : P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users