Hello to everybody; I am new to this forum and regrettably I must make my first post about an infection. I had never had a virus for almost 15 straight years but = (
My brother inserted an infected (or so I suppose) USB stick and shortly afterwards my PC was showing problems:
- lots of shortcuts were shown inside my external HDDs instead of the original files
- the previous names of all my HDDs (internal and external) were lost and I could only see their default names
- even though the free spaces in the external HDDs were correctly shown in Explorer, I couldn't see many of my files. Files and folders in C:/ were left untouched.
- lots of error messages like "chrome.exe needs to be updated" or so were popping up
- Chrome tabs apparently loaded slower than before.
I was aided remotely by an acquaintance. He directed me to some short .bat file which, he said, I should execute. I executed the file from inside every external disk. The .bat file deleted all the shortcuts but nevertheless I could not see all my folders back. At least the error messages were not showing up anymore. I then resorted to using a restoration point, which also did not fix the main problem. Afterwards, I resorted to performing a Windows 7 (32-bit) fresh install. But alas, I still cannot see all of my folders. And the names of my hard disks are still shown as default and I cannot change them.
I was using AVG antivirus and I am quite frustrated that it didn't warn me about this virus.
Any suggestions? I am still not desperate... but I am already on the brink : P