Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random 1-3 second freezes during gameplay?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FreakinComputers

FreakinComputers

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:06 PM

So, I have an Alienware Aurora ALX which is about 3 years or so old. It orginially came with dual nvidia graphics cards, but they both burnt out causing my screen to randomly black out completely. I then bought another nvidia card about a year a go and it's been fine up until about 2 months ago, where now my game is randomly freezing as I play. I typically play LoL and during an average of a 30 minute game, it'll probably freeze about 4-6 times. I downloaded CPUID HWMonitor to look over my temperatures and the card hits about 60-65C when the game is running, and it's 48C running now as I type this. My fans right now are at 1650-1710 RPM, but I haven't checked their RPM during gameplay. I've been reading it may not even be the card, but could be my ram, or my motherboard, or god knows what. So please, help me figure out what's wrong with it so i can get it replaced. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreakinComputers

FreakinComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:21 PM

Anybody..?

#3 Zero Flyer

Zero Flyer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

You have originaly two vga cards, they both die and now You have only one, or You replace both cards? I didnt understand well.

Less painfull is to go with some mem test. If You have UBCD or Hirens Boot, there is a plenty of free testing tools. 

If You have two cards, try only with one. If problem continue, replace and try with second video card. 
And let us know.

#4 FreakinComputers

FreakinComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'll download Hirens Boot or UBCD to do some tests, and to clarify, I got rid of the dual cards and bought 1 completely new card, and now just use that card only.

#5 Zero Flyer

Zero Flyer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:46 PM

Ok, than You cannot try one or another, but still, GPU temps look OK, so start with memtest first. I personaly prefer memtest86+ but Im sure that other also do good job too.

#6 FreakinComputers

FreakinComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:42 PM

Sorry I'm replying so late.. I tried downloading memtest86 and it  just wasn't working.. I have no idea how I'm supposed to run that program. I tried running the windows memory diagnostic and it didn't find any problems.. please help further. Thanks!

#7 Zero Flyer

Zero Flyer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:49 PM

Try to donwload ISO file of UBCD or hirens boot and burn it on a DVD.
After that boot from that DVD and choose from menu some memtest software. You cannot do the test from windows platform.
Keep in mind that boot order is maybe not default and that You need to change it in order to force computer to boot from DVD (look at the boot screen to see if there is shortcut for boot).

#8 FreakinComputers

FreakinComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

I'm a complete noob when it comes to this, I have the Hirens Boot downloaded and I'm trying to unzip it onto the disk and it isn't letting me, not sure what I'm supposed to do. Also, how do I get to the boot screen to see if the it'll boot from DVD?

#9 Zero Flyer

Zero Flyer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:18 PM

Hmm, inside that zip file should be a single iso file. But You need to unpack it with winrar, winzip, 7zip.... whatever.

Install some of this archivers, they are all free.

Place a zip file somewhere where You have enough space.

Right click on a file and click "Extract here". 

You should now have unpacked iso file. 

After You unpack it, You can right click on it and click on "Open with...", and click on "Windows disc image burner" tool.

Insert blank DVD in  burner, and it will burn that ISO content to DVD, and that DVD will be bootable.

Try to restart computer with DVD inside, maybe settings are default and You dont need to change anything.

If still wont boot, You should see message with boot button info at the begining of POST sequence (when You turn on computer, and its usually F9, F11, F12.....) if You cannot see message, just hit del, enter BIOS and put CD/DVD unit to be first in boot sequence.

#10 FreakinComputers

FreakinComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

I think I unpacked it into its own folder, but when I tried to move the contents to the DVD, says I need 1g of space and the disk is only 702MB. Did I even unpack it right?10846025_1042859299073479_45240433473524

#11 Zero Flyer

Zero Flyer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

No, delete that shortcut You made, and unpack on Q disk for example, I guess You have enough free space, or even on desktop if You have space. And then, just drag&drop file HirensBootCD.15.2.iso to Your DVD disk (D:). 
If You burn it like this, it wont be bootable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users