Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead PC: is it the PSU?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hi guys,

a few weeks ago my PC died.

I was using it when all of a sudden it turned off (like when there is a power blackout).

When I tried to turn it on again it was dead. Even the PSU fan doesn't spin.

The only sign of life is a green LED on my MoBo.

Do you think it's a dead PSU?

P.S.: I experienced a non-spinning fan issue (powered via MoBo) a few days before.

P.P.S.: I don't know if it matters... PSU is Enermax Liberty 500W, MoBo is Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:20 AM

The psu would be my first guess. If you have a way to try a different psu that is the best place to start.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:23 AM

I looked at another post you had made, I would also suggest dusting out the computer and while you have the case open, check for blown or bulging capacitors on the motherboard examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&biw=1262&bih=743&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YVtzVKmuIc-1yATZsYHIBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Zero Flyer

Zero Flyer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:26 AM

You experience fan not spining. If its a fan that together chill chipset and fats then could be a problem with overheat.
If that is a case, Im afraid that You are in serious problems, because bga chips are not in place anymore, and reballing are needed, and thats not a cheap solution and not always possible. 
Try to press with finger over chipset (not too hard) and then try to start PC. Sometime it can help, and in case it start, Your MB is dead.
However, most simple solution is to check it with some other psu (any psu) just to see wether motherboard will start or no. 

#5 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for replying.

@zingo156
I don't have another PSU.
Do you think it would be worth to buy a new PSU? Or the machine is too old? Can you point me towards a "good value for the money" PSU?
As soon as I have the time I will check the capacitors, thanks for the tip.

@Zero Flyer
Yes, I experienced a non-spinning fan issue but it was for a few minutes only, the fan was spinning again as soon as I connected it to the PSU directly.

#6 Zero Flyer

Zero Flyer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

Find some old PSU, or from some friend and check it. Thats simpliest possible solution. You need it for a 10 minutes literaly.
Also its not too expensive to buy some cheap for testing purposes even if its not problem with it. 

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

You could try to test the psu with a multimeter by using the shorting method to force power on the psu: http://aphnetworks.com/lounge/turn_on_psu_without_motherboard_the_paperclip_trick

You can see if the computer powers on by using the short method. You would need a multimeter to test the output voltages when the psu is on and running (if it comes on). If you do not feel comfortable doing those steps, you would need to have a different psu to rule out your current one as bad. Testing a psu can be tricky and often is not accurate if no load is on the psu.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

The paper clip trick can be dangerous, for that reason, it really is not recommended unless you know exactly what you are doing...

Edited by zingo156, 24 November 2014 - 02:50 PM.

#9 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

@Zero Flyer
I forgot about an old PSU I have but I don't know if it will work on this board (I have to check).

Otherwise I have to disassemble the PC I am using right now and see if the PSU can be used.

@zingo156

Uhm... I don't feel like I want to try that method...

I have to check if one of the two aforementioned units can be used.

Anyway, do you think it could be worth to spend money on a new PSU or the hardware is too outdated?

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:51 PM

I personally wouldn't throw much money at it. If you have a free spare psu anywhere you can test with to at least be sure it is only the psu that is the problem, then I would think it would be worth it. I do not know what cpu, video card, or other hardware you have installed.

#11 Zero Flyer

Zero Flyer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

If connectors fits, there is no doubt that it will start at least. And You will know if PSU is a problem.

Even if PSU is with lower power consumption and offcourse if its in a working condition. You cannot lose anything to try and You dont even need to dissasemble everything, just pull out everything from a MB and plug connectors from "new" PSU and start it like that (You dont need to plug HDD, DVD... only 4 or 6 pins on graphic card if its present on it).

#12 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

@zingo156

CPU is Athlon 64 X2 3800+

VGA is ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:26 AM

I guess with that said, if you get by using the computer, it might be worth throwing a power supply at it, IF you know for certain that is the only issue. I would try to find a used one or free one to test with just in case. Also double check on those capacitors, if any are bulging or leaking, throw your money at a new machine.

#14 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

I checked the old PSU I have, it has a 20-pin connector, the "faulty" PSU has a 24-pin connector (EATX) plus a 4-pin connector (ATX12V) plugged near to the upper edge of the board. I don't know if I can use the old one to test the board.

The working PSU I am using right now on this PC has a 20+4 pin connector plus a 4-pin connector.

I won't be able to it for testing in the next few days though.

I checked the capacitors, they look good to me. A few are a little "tilted" (not perfectly perpendicular to the board) but they could have been so from the beginning. I am 100% sure I have never touched any of them.

#15 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

Here I am again.

I used the PSU from the other PC to power the MoBo: it's working.

So the original PSU is probably dead.

But a strange thing occurred: I was on Ubuntu from USB stick and the PC rebooted itself.

I remember the same thing happened a few times even before the PSU issue.

Now I am testing another USB port (on the front of the case).

Any idea?

Update: running Ubuntu from USB stick on the front port caused a freeze.

Edited by The Man from Oahu, 01 December 2014 - 04:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users